Browsing: Making a Pom Pom Rug

Pom Pom Rug

I had a lot of yarn laying around the house so I made a pom pom rug out of it. I got the idea from Lions yarns, but of course, I could not afford their yarn. I did not use their directions either. I just made 24 large pom poms and sewed them to the back of an old rug that was in the kitchen.

L99lynn from Ocala, FL

multicolored rug
Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Hi I think your pom pom rug looks really funky. How do you make pom poms? I would love to make one. Helen

Hi it's Helen again. I don't have any rugs to use as backing so what would you suggest I use. Also did it take a lot of time sewing it together. Many thanks for your great idea.

This is such a a cool project! In fact one of the best! What I really love about it is it would be great for a beginner or a child to make with just a little help from an adult. Also, I can see a Teacher helping her kids to each make a pom-pom then sewing them to a backing. What a great class project! It also think it would look nice if some of the pom-poms were multicolored!

Not everyone has an old rug they can use as backing material, Here's my ideas for some backing materials, what are your ideas?

Rug Backing: or "Latch-Hook Rug Canvas" It's made for making your own designs of Hook-Latch rugs. It's an open-weave, slightly stiff, mesh that comes in several different gauges of mesh. It seems like it's been stiffened with starch or something to harden the cotton fibers. Some is plain white & some has a grid marking on it.

* Here's a site to buy it:

http://www.shillcraft.com/results.cfm?SubCategory=1

Plastic Mesh Canvas: For larger rugs you can sew these together at the edges.

Burlap: You may need 2 layers. I'd iron them together with fusible webbing. You could either hem the edges or if you don't have a sewing machine, hem them by hand or just pull out several strands to fray them.

Monks Cloth_ Some rug makers use this 100% cotton material to do rug-punching. I myself think it's a little too soft & flimsy.

Any of the above can be found at most craft stores. You can add liquid Latex to the bottom of the rug. But if you do, keep in mind that Liquid Latex rug backing can damage & permanently stain hardwood floors & some carpeting.

* Use a crochet or latch-hook tool to easily pull the pom-pom ties through the backing material. A hook is much faster than threading a large yarn needle.

How to make your own pom-poms:

Basic Directions:

Cut a piece of cardboard (for a template) the size you want (usually about 2 to 4 inches) next, wrap the yarn around & around the cardboard. Wrap it about 40 times (more or less depending on how thick & fluffy you want your pom-pom to be) then thread another piece of yarn under the wrapped yarn (between the yarn & the cardboard) & tie into a tight knot to hold yarn tightly together. Now slip you scissors into the yarn opposite the knot & cut the loops of the yarn. Lastly simply fluff the pom-pom. Use the ends of the knots to tie to the rug backing. You may want to double these yarn ties when making pom-poms for a rug so it's extra durable.

These are not the "donut-template" pom-poms. These are the half pom-poms that work best for making rugs. No reason to spend the time making the donut-shaped ones.

Method 1: (easiest & quickest)

http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/ss/pom_poms_3.htm

* A note: I make my cardboard template wider that the one shown in the picture. If I need one that's 4 inches, I will make it at least 4 inches wide by 4" high.

You can also make multiple pom-poms all at the same time with a very wide piece of cardboard, using one continuous yarn wrap the yarn around the template (example) 40 times then leave a space of about an inch then continue wrapping another 40 times (to make a second one) then leave a space of about an inch again, then make another one then leave a space & so on. Depending on how wide your cardboard templates, you can sometimes make 8 of them in a row without stopping. When you're done. simply thread a piece of yarn behind each one, then tie a tight knot & cut them. Fluff out pompom & trim ends to make it look "finished" & rounded.

Method 2: (using your fingers)

http://nabell1.tripod.com/nppp/howtomake.html

http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-make-pom-poms/

Method 3: (not the fastest or the best)

http://www.kid-craft-central.com/pom-poms.html

Method 4: (harder to make "donut-template" pom-poms)

http://www.nezumiworld.com/crochet_055.htm

No need to spend the time making one of these when you won't see the bottom anyway!

*** Here's a picture of a round pom-pom rug:

I think this would make a cute wall hanging in a teenagers room. Especially as a head board if there is none. Maybe use contrasting or coordinating colors from the room. I feel it looks too thick for a rug. I can't imagine walking on pom poms without stumbling. It is a neat idea though.

How do you sew it all together and how do you make pom poms? What kind of yarn did you use?

Hi, I love the rugs, but the rug I am looking for is made by wind yarn around nails that have been hammered into a wooden frame, almost like a hotpad frame but much larger. After winding the yarn around nails about 30 times you tie and cut.

Pom Pom Rug
Making a Pom Pom Rug
Crafts RugsAugust 31, 2009
Pom Pom Pumpkins
Making Pom Pom Pumpkins
Making a Pom Pom Blanket Loom
Making a Pom Pom Blanket Loom
Making a Halloween Pom Pom Topiary
Making a Halloween Pom Pom Topiary
Homemade Tassel and Pom Pom Maker
Homemade Tassel and Pom Pom Maker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:54:16 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.