Making a Pom Pom Blanket Loom

Category Miscellaneous
A pom pom blanket is much easier to make if you have a loom for it. This is a page about making a pom pom blanket loom.

I have just made a loom to make pompom blankets or cushions. Mine is for making blankets so if you want to make cushions it will need to be smaller. I made the frame approx 30" x 26" then put 1 1/2" nails all the way around the edge about 1 1/2" apart. You need to end up with an odd number on the short ends and even numbers on the long sides. There are some good posts and videos on pinterest to show how to wrap the loom, but I have had to use a few of them to work out the frame as none give any measurements. I am about to try it for the first time so will let you know how I get on. I also tried the ones with a card, but find they bend too easily as they get bigger.

Link: www.pinterest.com

Can anyone help? I am going to make a pom-pom blanket, but don't know what size to make the loom. It's a pram blanket. I have the size of the pram, but have read that it shrinks when you take it off the loom.

Has anyone any idea how much and should I make the loom board bigger? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Thrifty Fun has a section on it here www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Pom-Pom-Blanket-Loom-amp...

Here are one of many fun YouTube videos on how to start out making a pom pom blanket:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7EydVVOZLM

There are also videos on how to make looms and how to figure out which size loom for which size blanket.

They do shrink when you remove them (wool and cotton shrink the most) and it can be up to several inches. Blend yarns don't see to shrink as much.

Post back with the finished product! Lucky baby to get such a lovely gift!

What wool or yarn size can you use for making pom pom blankets? For example, dk, 4ply, or chunky. I will be using a loom.

Answers

What are you looking for in the result? Light, cozy, or heavy? I am a cozy person so I would use a 2 or 3 ply.

Light, a fingerling weight; heavy a chunkier weight. Remember heavy will be really heavy when wet and if you hand wash wool items, you will want to take that into consideration. Enjoy!!

Different yarns and weights are suitable for different sizes and fluffiness of Pom poms. This Martha Stewart article gives great information www.marthastewart.com/.../pom-pom-yarn-glossary-tips-and-tricks

Crafts MiscellaneousOctober 21, 2015
🎃
🎂
🌻