Making a Giant Pom Pom Monster
Pom poms are fun to make and can be used in lots of crafts. You can easily make this cute monster for you or your child. This is a page about making a giant pom pom monster
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My little guy is in love with the giant pom poms I have been making. So I decided to make him a pom pom monster to play with.
- x-large pom pom maker
- chenille stick
- googly eyes
- hot glue gun
- felt, optional
- Open one half of the pom pom maker and begin wrapping yarn around it, working your way from one end to the other. Continue wrapping until it is almost full and there is only a slight arched space in the middle. Then clip that half closed and repeat in the other half.
- Use scissors to cut through the center of the wrapped yarn, along the groove. Repeat on the other side.
- Cut a length of yarn and pull it firmly into the groove, bringing the ends together. Tie a tight knot. I like to wrap the yarn around a second time and tie another knot. Cut off the excess yarn.
- Insert a chenille stick through the center of the pom pom. Twist the ends together, down near the center. This will keep it from coming out.
- Wrap each end of the chenille stick around a pen/pencil. Then flatten the spirals between your fingers (see photo below).
- Apply glue to the back of the googly eyes and adhere to each end of the chenille stick. Then situate the fibers of the pom pom so that they cover the chenille stick. Have fun!
- Optional: If you want to add horns, run another chenille stick through the center of the pom pom and twist ends together to hold in place. Then create 4 identical horn pieces out of felt. Adhere two (2) horn pieces together with the end of the chenille stick in between. Make sure the chenille stick is cut short enough that the bottom of the horns are nestled down in the pom pom.
This soft toy is a great use for leftover yarn and can be personalized for any child. Learn how to make it in this short video.