Sponges are often used for the dirtiest jobs in the house. Sterilizing them is the best way to make sure they are free of germs and viruses. This is a guide about sterilizing sponges.
Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".
I put kitchen sponges in my dishwasher and run the cycle with a cup of bleach. After the dishwasher disinfects of the kitchen sponges, I spray them with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for about 50 seconds on high power. After completion of using the sponges to wash the counters, stove and other areas of the kitchen, I once again wash the sponges thoroughly in hot water, spray with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for 1 minutes at medium/high power. Make sure that there is no metal elements on the sponges before placing them in the microwave for disinfecting purposes.
I also use the same method for micro-fiber cloths. The sponges and the micro-fiber cloths are laundered in hot water in the washing machine once a week; otherwise, they are washed in the dishwasher with bleach; the bleach also disinfects the dishwasher.
Whenever you run your dishwasher, tie or clip your dishcloth to the top rack of your dishwasher. It will get clean with your dishes! My mother does this. It saves both time and money on washing.
Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!
Here are questions related to Sterilizing Sponges.
I have seen comments regarding cleaning kitchen sponges in the microwave. How does one go about cleaning sponges with Teflon "scrubbie" on other side of sponge? Can you put that in microwave?
By Gayle from Rochester, NY
I have had no problems with sterilizing sponges with a scrub material on one side. I always do it with the sponge side down and the scrubbing material face up, but I don't know if that is necessary.
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
I understand that sponges can be sanitized in the microwave. How long should it take to sanitize for a 900 watt microwave? Or a 750 watt?
Gran from Lubbock, TX
|After using your kitchen sponge whether to clean up or to do the dishes, wash it well with liquid detergent and then rinse well. Place it in the microwave and zap it for 1 minute. The result is a sterilized sponge which can be used without worrying about harboring germs. |
By Joes Girl
|RE: Sterilize Your Sponge in the Microwave||04/09/2004|
|I put my sponges in my dishwasher with a load of dishes and run them through the wash, they are clean and sterilized at the same time. I use the fishnet bags off of onions to put the small sponges in so they don't get thrown to the bottom of the dishwater when they get water logged.it works beautifully.|
|RE: Sterilize Your Sponge in the Microwave||06/01/2005|
|I've tried using the dish washer for sponges, however the bacteria is still present since the sponge will smell after one use. Instead I do as the restaurants do and keep a spray bottle of watered down bleach under my sink. Each night I spray down the sponges and clothes then squeeze them out. They stay odor and germ free for days. The spray bottle is also a good way to keep your counter tops and plastic cutting boards free of bacteria and germs.|
|By Kim Hibbert|
|RE: Sterilize Your Sponge in the Microwave||09/17/2005|
|Bleaching your sponges is self-defeating. Once they've been bleached, they fall apart!|
Just be careful when taking the VERY hot sponge out of the microwave--steam burns hurt!
Just one person's opinion.
Microwave the wet sponge on high for 1.5 - 4 minutes depending on the thickness of the sponge and the power of the microwave oven.
If it smells when you take it out, that's because it was pretty bad. Don't give up - you just need to get it thoroughly clean. Do the following:
In a microwave-safe bowl, put 1-2 tablespoons of Oxyclean. Add hot water and stir, then soak the sponge in it for 5 minutes. Be sure the sponge is thoroughly saturated with the solution - I use an old toothbrush or wear rubber gloves while doing this.
Rinse the sponge well and then microwave it again.
This does not cause the sponge to fall apart, it does remove stains and smells and germs. Actually, the Oxyclean gets rid of many germs because the oxidation that's tough on hands and nails is tough on other living tissue like germs. But microwave it too, to kill viruses and tough bacteria spores.
If you do this weekly, you can use sponges a long time, keep costs and landfill waste down and have a healthy clean kitchen.
By checked this out
By Richard T
Hope that helps!
Cleaning kitchen sponges? Soak the sponge in water and microwave for a couple of minutes. The heat will kill any bacteria. Use a tong to remove sponge. It will be VERY HOT.