Saving Money on Piddle Pads

Does anyone else have Chihuahuas? Maggie and Jack use the blue piddle pads in a box, but it does get expensive. Does anyone know how to stretch the use of them? I live in SD and going outside in the winter is not an option. Litter is so messy. Anyone else got any ideas?

Chihuahuas

PrairieLady from SD

I have 5 chihuahuas. They are a very tight little "pack". I don't allow them run of the house when we leave, I close them in a room with an area of newspaper. Most of the time, they wait for us to get back, and yes, they go out to potty during the winter (even out in the country where the wind is rough). They do really well, even in rough weather, they stay close to home, and come and go quickly in snow and rain. But, they don't mess in the house. They are all grown now, and well trained to go out, and come in, quickly. A hint also, don't feed them alot in the afternoons, and pick up water bowls at a certain time, to get them through the night. Like toddlers, they can only go so long. But, they do learn, Chi's are very very smart. Enjoy.

Hi! I have a chihuahua, too. She's a 4 and 1/2 lb. T-Cup. Mitzi is litterbox trained as we live in FL and taking her outside, especially during thunderstorms just isn't an option. Also, to take her out at night in the grass wouldn't be very safe. I know there's snakes and other nasties out there!!!!!!

Anyway, I use layers of newspaper in her box. When she does her business, I just remove the soiled layer, flush the poop, and the paper goes into the garbage out in the garage.. Now that she's almost 3 years old, she's more on a schedule with going potty, so I don't use nearly as much newspaper. Hope this helps you. P.S. I tried using litter, but Mitzi didn't like it.

Dollar General sells these pads under their brand name for about 1/2 the cost.

I have 2 chihuahuas. Both are about 10 years old. One can't go outside because of allergies and both do not do well outside when it is cold. I used to use those washable chair pads or bed pads designed for human use but we moved to a house that is on a septic system and bleach is not good for the septic. So, I buy the disposable bed pads designed for human use. They sell these at Walmart but they are cheaper to buy at Sam's Club. They sell a box of about 120 for about $22. The chihuahuas use these even better than the washable pads. It works really well! Hope this helps.

Im looking to buy at least one more dear chiuahua and live in Michigan, I have a male and he's the best ,now-9yrs old and would like to get a nother one. Can any one help to find some. Thanks.

lubahstubbs @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

I have a 8 month old Chihuahua and asked the vet about box training him .She said she wouldn't advise doing this. In his mind he is a wolf and he needed to go outside and mark is space.

Would you send me your e-address, I am also from S.D.

mmpauls @ venturecomm.net (remove spaces)

I have a older dog and at times he has problems holding it during the night so we use those pads in our bedroom for him incase he has a accident. We purchase the pads at our local grocery store in the pet department for about 6.00 Canadian price for a package of 12. Shop around and perhaps you can find some cheaper else where.

I grew up in SD...and I don't understand why the dog can't go outside in the wintertime. Yeah, it can be awfully cold, but if s/he's only out there to do their business, it's not going to hurt the dog. (We have dogs, too, larger ones, but with very short coats, too.) Do you have a spot really close to the door you can train the dog to use so that the business is over with quickly? In cold weather, our dogs don't like to stay long and go in and out quite quickly on their own.

i have yorkshier terriers and i use washable pottie pads. ( you can get them at your local pet store) i also use simple soulitions pottie training aid to spray on the pads after i wash them. the spray is very important because after you wash them they smell like there clean bedding. and we dont want them to start a bad habbit. i have been useing them for years now and i love them.

You can get a puppy litter box on line. It uses newspaper under a grate. First line it with the pads until they get used to it. I am thinking of getting one for my brussles griffon. It's been a horrible winter here in NJ and she's very tiny. I really don't mind using the pads but they are getting expensive and the litter box is only $30 something plus shipping. In the few months I've had her I have spent at least that on the pads.

I have 2 little Chihuahuas and live in North Carolina. Rain, Snow or anything like forget it. They refuse to go outside to potty. I usually leave a puppy pad down for emergencies when it rain and snows. I even tried the rain jackets and bootys, but they still dont go outside. They dont like it. In the house in the summer with the ac on, They like to wear sweaters since they are very cold natured dogs.

I have found a couple of packs of puppy pads at a thrift store. They always sell dog stuff there really cheap.

I have found that Wal-Mart has the best price.I just bought a big bag of pads there lastnight for $6.97. I saved 3 Chihuahuas that were pound bound. They were like Yours, didn't want to go out side. So I have found that by have a chair outside helps. I just sit there and read the paper. They seemed to have got my drift. Of course in winter time this becomes a chilling challange, but one I take on with love and care. They all have there sweater's which I bought in spring time at PetsMart for less than half price.I do use pads for when I am at work.I hope I helped You some.

I have a baby long - haired chihuahua. He just turned 3 months old yesterday and I also have the same problem. The pads (even if you buy the cheap ones) are pretty expensive. Sometimes I go through 2 pads a day for this little pup. I don't really like the smell of feces so I do change it often, but I try to put it to good use and wait until he goes 2 -4 times. You all would be surprised how quickly it can smell up a room. Anyway my sister's friend has kitty-litter trained her chihuahua and I was looking into that. It seems like a great idea.

I have a male chihuahua and instead of the pads I use a litter box. It's helps cut the cost of the pads and he took to it right away. Hope it helps.

Chcek out this website - cheaper in bulk!

http://www.mednetdirect.com/Puppy-Pads-Pet-Care-s/106.htm

I have 2 yorkies and I use the piddle pads - not to sure about the kitty liter - think mine are too old to go there - but if I thought it would work I would give it a try. Hope this site helps. Also Drs Smith & Foster always has great sales on piddle pad too.

I don't know if this is any cheaper - but you might try baby ( I would think generic would be cheapest) diapers (cloth). I have found some items in dog aisle that because they are esp, made for pets are a lot more expensive then the same thing in another aisle for humans. For ex; I saw a lint brush for human clothes that I know are very good and I happen to walk past the dog aisle and saw the same lint brush (different label - for pets) a few dollars more expensive. Now that I know this I look for alternatives. Of course some things are esp, made for pets and should be. I haven't checked out the dog aspirin yet but why would it be any different than the Bayer or Buffered Aspirin that my dog needs once in awhile. Before looking it up I bet there is hardly a difference or something simple you could add yourself.

I don't really know what piddle paddles are - haven't had to use them for dog but if there is some plastic underneath I would use newspaper underneath and wash the diapers. Dog waste isn't as bad as other animals waste.

I use people pads at walmart. That is the cheapest I have found. I have 2 chihuahuas and I only have to change once a day.

If you want to save money, and who doesn't, I found a way that works great for me! I have a 3 month old Yorkie Terrior/Chihuahua Papillon, and was using the Piddle Pads (80 for $25.00 at Walmart). While visiting my Mom, we put down a product called "Sham Wow", and they are so great! They absorb her piddle, so her feet don't get wet, plus, you just wash them, dry them, and your all set! I got mine at Walmart. I have six of the larger sheets, and put two down at a time. Eventually, will only need one, (I Hope). They more than pay for themselves! After 2 weeks, I have saved $100.00! Tried newspaper, but she would just shred it, eat it, and make a mess! Plus, they are great for the Environment! I love them! They really are "Sham Wow"!

I use piddle pads that I get from Yorkie Rescue Me

rescuemeyorkierescue @ gmail.com or visit their website at http://yorkierescueme.com I love them I have 4 pads and just throw them in the washer with soap and bleech - very cost effective and eco friendly. I have 3 Yorkies and they have no problems using the piddle pads. Hope this helps.

Puppy sniffing piddle pad.
Saving Money on Piddle Pads
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds ChihuahuaJanuary 22, 2006
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
A photo of a pug.
Making Homemade Piddle Pads
A small dog.
Training a Dog to Use Piddle Pads
🎉
🎄