Saving Money on Scouring Pads

Category Cleaning
Scouring Pad
Scouring pads are very useful for scrubbing dishes and many other cleaning jobs around the house. This is a guide about saving money on scouring pads.

When you have only one or two pans to scrub, try cutting a scouring pad in half. Not only will you save money by using only half the pad, but you will be sharpening your scissors as well when you use them to cut the pad!

If you have a pan that has badly burnt on food, put it back on the stove with water, add some automatic dishwasher powder, or liquid and boil the mixture and leave to sit for a few hours. The burnt on mess will literally come right off the pan with no scrubbing at all.

By Michelle L. from Lanett, AL

Scotch-Brite scratch pads and their "clones" are fairly large. I only use about half the surface for actual scrubbing, so I got to thinking. Why not cut the next batch of Scotch-Brite scratch pads in half?

Packages of 3 cost nearly $3 at Wal-Mart. Cutting them in half means each pad only cost fifty cents. If you buy at the dollar store, they might be even less. You can't get much more frugal than that. This might not work for someone with extra-large hands, but it sure works for me!

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Whenever I purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, I immediately take a pair of scissors and cut each pad in half. After years of having to throw away rusted and unused and smelly pads, I finally decided that this would be much more economical. Now a box of S.O.S pads last me indefinitely! In fact, I have noticed that the scissors get sharpened this way.

Source: A neighbor years ago.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Since the death of my husband, I really had to give up some of the things I am used to using in order to save money. Kitchen scouring pads were one of them. To save on money but still get the job of crusty, burnt pots and pans clean, I recycle my aluminum foil. Why throw what has been used to cover something up with away?

I just wad the foil up, add a couple drops of soap. To tell the truth, the foil cleans those icky pots and pans better than a store bought pad does. I keep the recycled foil under my sink in a plastic bag and toss it out after the dishes are done.

I like to recycle the red nets that fruit comes in sometimes and use them as scouring pads. They work great in scrubbing your kitchen sink out with baking soda, as a pan scrubber, and are even good at scrubbing stickers off items!

By Susan from Houston, TX