Extending the Life of SOS Pads

SOS pads are a good scouring product, but they do not always last as long as we would like. This is a guide about extending the life of SOS pads.

To make my S.O.S or Brillo pads last longer, I store them on a crumpled square of aluminum foil after use. It somehow keeps them from rusting. I also cut my pads in half before use.

Source: I read it somewhere, but my Mom used to cut her pads in half before use.

By arsonhorse from Denham Springs, LA

Tips for saving money on SOS pads. Post your ideas.

For many years I have been extending the life of SOS cleaning pads. (You know, sometimes you just have to use them on some things). The very first thing I do is get one of my recycled small plastic containers, one that has a good lid, and is big enough to easily cover the SOS pad. Fill it nearly full with very warm water. Then place the SOS pad in the water and squeeze a few times, getting some of the thick goo into the water.

Go ahead and use the scrubber for whatever you need to do, then put it in the plastic container, making sure it is submerged in the water, then put the lid on, and leave it for the next time you need to clean a pan that just won't respond to anything less. If the SOS is used up in one or two uses, and the liquid is still pretty clean, don't dump it, just add a bit of water, and start the next pad in it when it is needed.

Source: I don't recall any source, unless it was my dear mom, who would even wash used aluminum foil and reuse it, more than once.

by Loretta from Theodore, AL

I truly love SOS pads for just about everything. But I was wondering why they don't put them on a handle? I have so many jobs that I need to have then on a handle so I can reach places that need cleaning, but just can't get my hands in the spaces. If they could somehow put the pads on a thin handle to reach under stoves, spills under fridgs. etc. It would truly be a blessing to me. I have tried using paint stirs but cant seem to get the right something that makes the pads stay on the paint stir. Any suggestion?

Linda

Answers

I would look for the company name on the box and call them with the suggestion. Who knows... maybe you could make some $$ off it. Wouldn't that be nice.. Doesn't hurt to try :)

I know I have a plastic scrubber brush that I bought at the grocery store for maybe $3.

With it I can simply spray any cheap "window cleaner" on the floor to clean it up; rather it be out in the open area of the room, around the stove or anywhere else the floor is messy and spotty looking.

I have a house full of vinyl flooring for wheel chair use and this works very well for me. I suggest it to everyone, perhaps you can try it instead of SOS pads.

Use an elastic band wound tightly around the end of the sos on the paint stick.

I just grab it with my kitchen tongs.

Try spearing it onto a kitchen fork.

Maybe... cut the bristles off of an old dish brush, the little stubble will probably help grip the pad, seems that would be a good angle with which it would be most useful.

I keep rubber bands in the kitchen to hold the folds on plastic bags of veggies in the freezer, cereal, we use our favorite color on our drinking glasses to identify them, etc. We now use them to hold the microfiber cloths on the Swiffer wet jet, too. Try to wrap a thin, long rubber band around a few times to secure the steel wool pad.