Reusing Hi-Liters

I recycle hi-liters. It's best to do this before they completely run out of the original fluid. Add food coloring and anti-freeze in a 5:1 ratio to the worn out hi-liter. The quantity required depends on just how dried out the chamber is and the volume of the pen. A few drops is plenty for the smaller ones and a few more drops are sufficient for the bigger ones. I've been doing this for years and I always grab all the ones from work that people are ready to pitch. If you use hi-liters as much as I do, this is an essential cost saver.

By Tom H from Mulberry, FL

Isn't antifreeze poisonous? I'd be careful not to have this where kids can get a hold of them.

I applaud your creative idea but I had a friend who died an agonizing death from accidentally ingesting a small amount of anti-freeze. :-(

Any amount can possibly kill animals, children and adults so it really is best to use it only for what it was meant to be used for and that is for cars. Plus, after you're done with that marker and throw it away the residue will go in to landfills. :-(

Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 29, 2010
Wine cork used as name card holder
Reusing Corks
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Colorful Tissue Paper
Reusing Tissue Paper
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
🎉
🎄