Growing Amaryllis in Zone 5

Today (June 4) I received a Red Lion Amaryllis bulb. It has a double stalk, the taller one being 12 inches high. Each stalk has what appears to be a large bud. It has not been planted in soil and the bulb is very clean. It is pale green in color. It has not been in water either.

My hardiness Zone is 5. What should I do with it at this time of the year. Should I plant outside or in a pot or in water? Should it be kept in the house or outside? How deep should the soil be or the water? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Anything I have read appears to be advice for spring or winter forcing. Thank you.

By Dawn T. from Racine County, WI

Plant it outside, with just over half the bulb buried, and fertilize it every other week with liquid fertilizer. Dig it up in September and store it in a dark place. You can take it out of storage in the winter and plant it in a pot indoors or wait 'til the risk of frost is past in Spring and plant it outside again. I used to grow amaryllis inside only, but you'll have blooms for more years if you plant them outside in the summer, where the bulb grows larger with sunlight. Enjoy your beautiful flowers!

Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
Growing Amaryllis
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 6, 2009
Photo of a red camellia.
Selecting Perennials for Northern Texas
Buying Trees and Shrubs
Buying Trees and Shrubs
Transplanting Amaryllis
Christmas star poinsettia
Aftercare for Holiday Plants