Help for Dog Aggression

Our dog was very unfriendly towards other dogs and would growl as she passed them and one day actually chased one and nipped it on the rear end. I was shocked and horrified, but knew that this could not continue.

My vet advised me that Saffy was protecting me and that I had to teach her that I was the boss and she did not need to protect me.

I did this by making Saffy walk behind me at all times. She could not pass through a gate or doorway before me and must stay behind me even if we were walking with other dogs and could never lead "the pack." We both found this hard going at first, but now I have a very happy, friendly dog, who wags her tail on meeting all dogs and never gives the slightest sign of aggression.

She was 10 years old when I started this training and although I am no longer quite so strict, I still let her know that I am in charge. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Source: Advice from my vet and other dog owners

By Margaret from Fleet, England

Aggressive dog in the snow.
Dealing With an Aggressive Dog
Pets TrainingOctober 11, 2010
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Toddler Being Aggressive
Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner