Organizing Ideas from Magazines in a Filing Cabinet

Since I have children, I often get magazines that have lots of ideas ranging from craft ideas to party and food ideas. I had accumulated so many because I wanted to keep the useful ideas that I came across. I was becoming overwhelmed with magazines. So then I got the idea of my filing cabinet.

I bought some file folders and labeled the folders for craft ideas, food ideas, etc. I went though each of my magazines and tore out the ideas I loved, and put them in the appropriate folder.

Once I did that I took the rest of the magazine I didn't need and took them to the recycling bin. Now I have those ideas at hand away in organized folders in my filing cabinet. And I don't have the clutter of magazines any more.

By Chris from OH

Both are great ideas. If you have a scanner, you can copy the page and then edit just the photo, etc. Then, you can donate the mags' to the senior centers, women's shelter, or thrift shop. Just a thought to keep that creative juice going around and around. Poor But Proud

If you don't have a file drawer, you can use a binder system. Either one binder with tabs or , if you are like me, one binder for each category. I use an old notebook my child had scribbled in and tape the smaller articles inside. Larger pages or templates I slip into one of those pocket page protectors. I have a whole shelf of binders to reference!

A binder with clear pockets could work too. And you could put a couple of small articles or pictures in the same pocket.

I use cat litter jugs, with the tops cut off, I use zip lock bags, which has paper crafts, jewelry, embroidery, crochet or what ever, written on with a Sharpie, then the ideas or patterns go into their own zip lock bag, which is stored in the cut iff cat litter jugs. When a bag gets so full, then it is time for that batch of inspiration to get it's own cat litter container, with the contents on the container written with a Sharpie on all 4 sides, so that even if it is put on the bookcase wrong, I don't have to pull everything out to find the right one.

If you are into computers, you can scan the articles and put them in folders on your computer and then pass the magazines on to someone else who may find useful information.

I had an old metal filing cabinet that I filled with hanging folders. I then opened the magazines I wanted to save at the half way point and hung them over the sides of the folders. I get 2 magazines per folder. Before I hang them I use a marker to write the articles and page numbers that I especially wnt to be able to find on the covers. Sometimes I'll put photocopies of the pictures from the 2 hanging magazines in the center of the folder. They stay like new and help me find things without much fuss and the file cabinet holds tons of magazines!

A large stack of food magazines.
Organizing Ideas From Magazines
Crafts AdviceApril 9, 2009
Mr. and Mrs. SantaMade From Reader's Digest Magazines
Mr. and Mrs. Santa Made from Reader's Digest Magazines
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Open Magazines
Saving Ideas from Magazines