Does a Scanned Negative Result in a Positive Image?

I keep seeing these gadgets that scan negatives. Can anyone tell me how they show on screen? When you have scanned them and burned them to CD do they show as negatives or photos? This may be a silly question, but I've always thought photography had a hint of magic in it. Cheers.

By Marg from England

Marg, scanners can usually be set for positive and negative so they should be able to scan it and save it as a normal photo. They can also usually do slides too.

If this is just for memory keeping, the scan would probably be enough. But if you are going to print it out, it might be worth having a photo processing place do it as their scanners and printers will be better than most home scanners.

A negative is the opposite of the real picture. When it is printed or scanned the dark in the negative shows up light again.

Thanks for your help. I think now I'll try the scanner and take it from there. These negatives are up to 50 years old and beginning to get that "oil-on- water" look so I'm trying to save quite a lot while I can. If anything look special I'll get it done properly. Thanks again. Marg.

Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 27, 2010
Dog Breeding
Dog Breeding
Living a Positive Lifestyle
Living a Positive Lifestyle
Vegetables growing in a raised bed.
Companion Planting Tips
man using eye drops
Using Eye Drops