How do you remove burned food from Pyrex? It is a sugary glaze that burned on to the Pyrex.
By gmadrum from Turlock, CA
Please be sure to rate the answer which works best for you. Do you have a better answer? Click above to answer this question.
Pretty much the same as other posters. I always simply fill with super hot water and some dish soap, soak overnight and then use a Scotch Bright pad. Rarely does it ever take any sort of elbow grease to get it all off on the first try ;-)
"Barkeepers Friend", at any grocery store, near the Comet and Ajax cleansers. Works Great! Good Luck
I would have to agree with everybody here on the dish-washing detergent. I soaked the dish in cascade dish-washing detergent with water for an hour which softened all the grease up and then I scrubbed all the grease away with a brillo pad. The dish came out looking brand new. It was all messed up before. It had all types of spots all over it. It had been like this for atleast a month. I thought it was done, but I wanted to give it one last chance before I had said the grease settled in. And it didnt. It all came out. Give this one a shot!
If the stain is in instead of on the glass, then you may be stuck with it.
Soak it with automatic dishwasher detergent and water. That stuff dissolves everything. Before I had a dishwasher I always kept a small box on hand for such purposes.
Hot water, some dish soap & baking soda. Let of soak for a little while, add a little vhite vinegar, let sit another 10 min. Put a little x-tra baking soda on your sponge when cleaning, if needed.
Although it isn't as 'green' as baking soda or vinegar, I use a small amount of straight bleach for a burned-on area. First I remove as much as I can and then only add enough bleach to cover the spot.
I find that the easist way to clean baked on food is to use a dryer sheet and hot water. I let the dish soak with the softener sheet while I do the rest of the dishes. It usually comes clean without alot of effort.
I agree with Jules -- use hot water (with a bit of dishwashing detergent) and let it soak for quite a while. I use the old fashioned green Scotch Brite pads instead of SOS. I've poured boiling water on some yucky cooked-on greasy spots, and that seemed to help. Even with the soaking, it may take a bit of elbow grease!
I put a good amount of baking soda and small amount of water, set on low on the stove, it gently "simmers" it out, have done hundreds of times, especially on dishes with burn stains from garage sales. As soon as you take it off, dump the water and start rinsing the leftover gunk out with Dobie and water.
OK. This works great, I had a dish soaking for days but nothing happened. But, then I added water until the stain was covered. Then put in a teaspoon of salt and a healthy squirt of dish soap (I used fairy brand). Then I microwaved the concoction for 3 minutes on high. The whole thing scrubbed off easily with the scouring side of a dish sponge.
Hot soapy water with a splash of bleach- let it soak and then scrub with an SOS pad - that ought to take care of it.
I had baked on food for years on my pyrex 9 x13 and read here that Mr. Clean Erasers would remove it. So $3.79 later I still have baked on food. Didn't even touch it. Don't waste your money save MR.Clean for the bathroom. Now on to Easy Off oven cleaner and give that a shot. I'm doing it outside however, that stuff is toxic!
My mother in-law worked in restaurant where they soaked pot and pans with baked on food using spic n span. Just sprinkle it on then add a little water to cover it and let it set.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.