Craft: Ribbon Flowers

Here are some ribbon flowers I made. These are made into brooches. They could also be hot-glued onto a hardshell Alice hair band. Pin brooches onto your clothes to brighten an outfit or pin onto shopping bags or hats, glue or sew onto hair slides, too. Even I, who cannot sew for toffee, could make them. Here's how to make one.

1. Cut a length of ribbon. Since making these in the pictures I have found that singeing the ends of the ribbon with a flame from a match 'seals' the sides from fraying.

2. With a matching colour thread sew a running stitch along the bottom length of the ribbon. Make sure the length of your thread is twice the size of your ribbon. Knot the end.

3. Now pull the ribbon so it forms a flower shape. Now sew together the circle of ribbon. It doesn't need to be neat as no one can see.

4. Make another in a contrasting colour. I made my second one in some black lace.

5. Now sew them together by a few good stitches into the middle.

6. Now you can sew anything into the middle to add interest. Use a pretty button, beads, anything decorative. I thought to use some little faux flowers, like little rosebuds, or cake decorations. The possibilities are endless.

7. On the smaller yellow and black ribbon I sewed a small safety pin onto the back. The larger green and yellow ribbon I used a brooch pin back. (Purchased on eBay)

Perhaps you could make some too. Perhaps it would be a nice project to make these very simple ribbons with daughters or granddaughters. These are sew fun to make.

By monique63 from Somerset, U.K.

Great idea! Have you tried Clover's yoyo's. You could make flowers as well as butterflies I use soft scraps of fabric

A picture of beautiful ribbon roses.
Making Ribbon Flowers
Crafts FloralApril 6, 2010
Wire-Edged Ribbon Bow
Making a Wire-Edged Ribbon Bow
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
A Christmas tree made out of ribbon.
Ribbon Craft Ideas