Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Prevent Apples Slices from Turning Brown

What do I use to keep cut apple from turning brown?

By Jerry from Goldsboro, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By mamacrafter [35]03/29/2011

If I peel apples and want to cook later. I put them in some water just enough to cover them. with lemon juice and two table spoon sugar. Set in ref. and when you take out you can just pour them into pan and cook, with the liquids. And you don't loose any flavor.

By Pixiedust7 [7]03/12/2011

My friend Bill taught me that you can also sprinkle apple slices with ascorbic acid powder, which is available at vitamin stores. As a bonus, it contributes some Vitamin C.

By Nancy [5]03/09/2011

I also live in N.C. Older folks, when they put up apples in the winter, would peel and quarter them, and soak them in lightly salted water, until they either canned or froze them.

By Lilac [18]03/08/2011

Toss them in lemon or orange juice.

By Vicki [21]03/07/2011

See all the archives below. I use lemon or lime juice myself. It also works to keep them submerged (completely) in water. This also works for potatoes. (But don't do the submerging thing for long, as I just imagine it pulls out vitamins and minerals into the water).

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Prevent Apples Slices from Turning Brown

Tips for keeping apple slices and pieces from turning brown. Post your ideas.

RE: Prevent Apples Slices from Turning Brown

Sugar water. It really works, and tastes quite yummy, too! (01/17/2005)

By ~*Janique*~

Dip apple slices in a lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. (07/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Apples from Turning Brown

Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to anything you use apples in, it will keep them from turning brown. By Jeanette Hamilton (07/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

I've heard you can dip your freshly cut apple slices in 7-Up to keep from discoloring. I've not tried this. Apple slices around here don't last long enough! (07/08/2005)

By badwater

I have heard Sprite soda pop works, too. I usually have lemon juice on hand though and it works well. (07/08/2005)

By mamajuice43

Put the cut apple slices under a kiwi half to prevent the apple from turning brown. (01/17/2006)

By Clarissa M.

I have heard that salt is a good way to stop apples from browning. (03/15/2007)

By kerry

A little salt in cold water keeps apples from oxidizing. As an alternative, lemon juice in cold water also works well. (09/26/2007)

By ~stilljetter~

Orange juice works well. (10/24/2007)

By moniboo

Pineapple juice works better than anything you come up with. I work in a school cafe. (01/23/2008)

By Leslie

Lemon juice works the best, and so does fresh fruit. (11/02/2008)

By bob

I cut a Gala apple in half, peeled it and put the peelings in a small apple size bowl, skin side down. Then I returned the other half atop the the peelings and then put it back in the fridge. It lasts for a week or so without turning brown. Serendipity.

By PamelaW from Sun Lakes, AZ