Christmas Lights for Night Lights

I know most people love their home inside to be perfectly dark whether for better sleep or for being frugal by extending light bulb life and/or electric bill but, if you're like me and night blind and don't want to turn on bright lights to navigate to another room (especially if you're one who needs to poddy often - LOL), then just use night lights that have an automatic light sensor.

Now you're probably thinking, "Those bulbs are expensive and burn out more often than regular bulbs!" Well, I came up with an inexpensive solution ;-) Christmas light bulbs! They are so much less expensive than year round nightlight bulbs and will cost even less the day after Christmas on sale and I'll be stocking up on sale day for the coming year. I plan on buying green because it's a soothing, earthy color.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

About 40 years ago when my girls were little, the bulb in their night light burned out and I didn't have any spares, so I went in the store room and dug in my Christmas decoration boxes. That was back when Christmas light bulbs were a little bit larger. Well the only spare ones I had were red, and I didn't stop to think about that, I wanted the girls to get settled and to sleep. Anyway my now "ex" was a cop in that town and on evening patrol. He drove by the house and saw the red glow coming from the girls bedroom and pulled into the yard and came running in. He thought there was fire.

Hi Redhatterb :-) I was thinking you were going to say your then husband came running in because a red light used to be a signal that it was a house of ill repute ;-) LOL!

Try blue, it won't mess up your sleep cycle.

I bought an automatic sensor night light with an LED light. It was more expensive, but is supposed to last for 20+ years. It also had a decorative cover that makes it look more like "decor" than a clunky night light...LOL!

I would think that the Christmas lights would be more inconvenient - you'd have to plug and unplug them, as if you leave them on all the time you'd be using extra energy and also they would burn out pretty quickly.

I've read that a string of incandescent mini lights uses about 36 watts - LEDs use about 5 and will last and last.

Leintsv, thanks for posting your comments but I think you missed the part of where I mentioned using a sensor night light and buying Christmas 'bulbs' not strings of bulbs ;-) Yep, LED night light would be good but when you're on disability or have no money for any reason to buy a new gadget you make the best of what you have on hand ;-) For the cost of a new LED night light with sensor vs after Christmas sale for Christmas bulbs for a night light we already have, well, I'll opt for an inexpensive bulb rather than buy a new gadget ;-) Oh, and I have quite a cute cover on my sensor light of a kitty cat that came from an old non-sensor light ;-) Night light covers are interchangeable ;-)

Thursday_Next, yep, on blue too :-)

scatter of Christmas light bulbs
Uses for Christmas Light Bulbs
Better Living Simple LivingDecember 9, 2009
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Classic Christmas Tree
Putting Lights on a Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights