Use Nails To Bake Potatoes Faster

I like the taste of potatoes better when they are baked in the oven, as opposed to the microwave; however, it takes ever so much more time to do it this way. If you are in a time-crunch, and want to hasten baking time, then place a well-scrubbed nail into the middle of each potato before you put them into the oven. The heat travels to the inside of the potato through the nail, causing the inside of the potato to heat up (and cook) faster. This method hastens the cooking time tremendously. Just check for doneness at an earlier time than you would normally. (I squeeze the potatoes to check for doneness, so I don't have a time-table for cooking x-number of potatoes; sorry!)

Source: I have used this tip for quite a few years, so I don't remember where it came from.

By Carole from Locust Fork, Alabama

Editor's Note: Make sure you use a steel nail and not a galvanized nail. I used to have some aluminum potato nails that someone was making at the time. It does make them cook a lot quicker.

I have been using aluminum nails in potatoes for years and they really do work. If I have extra large potatoes I use 2 nails. I've also done the same with potato casseroles and meatloaf.

Another way of cooking baked potatoes in the microwave is in a potato bag - a cloth bag with a lining of material that holds the heat. The potatoes are soft and really great tasting in a short amount of time without having to be pierced.

Also, if you are short on time but want oven baked potatoes, microwave them for 5-10 minutes then pop in the oven for another 15 minutes or so. I usually microwave them almost done and then put in the oven to give them that oven taste! I also have the aluminum nails and use them when I have more time.

I push a butter knife into mine, then wrap with foil leaving the handle uncovered.

Baked Potato With Ham and Cheese
Baked Potato Tips And Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsNovember 4, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎉
🎄