Removing Mildew from Leather

By eric 1

How do I clean mold off of leather and suede?

By Eric from Cleveland, OH

Filter Sort

By Oliver 1 Flag

Have a look at a leather motorbike jacket I just cleaned. It was given a rub with a tea tree oil blend meant for a face steamer. The difference is huge! I will post if it fades but it looks good so far!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

Does anyone know how to get the mildew odor out of leather jackets? I have two really nice jackets that were stored in my ex-husbands basement and hate to get rid of them. I tried cleaning them with saddle soap. Also tried fabric softner sheets in the pockets. But the odor is still there. I would really love to wear these again.

Thanks,
Kathie

Answers
White Vinegar
Post by truerblue
To remove mildew on leather items, rub the area with either white vinegar.

By truerblue

Toasted Bread
SNIGDIBBLY (Guest Post)
My mother always used toasted bread slices to remove the smell of mildew from non-washable items. She would place the dry unbuttered toast between the layers and place in a non-airtight container and check and replace until the smell was all gone.
Coffee Grounds
Post by bgarey
You can try putting the jackets in black plastic garbage bags along with a cup of coffee grounds. Dry, unused coffee grounds. Tie the bag shut and leave it alone for about 3 days. Coffee grounds took the smell of rotting fish (don't ask!) out of my freezer and I've used it for all kinds of things since then. Good luck and let us know if it works!

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

What can be used to safely clean mildew off a leather briefcase that won't harm or discolor the leather?

Brenda from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Request: Removing Mildew from Leather

(format_html)

Thanks,
Kathie

Answers
White Vinegar
Post by truerblue

By truerblue

Toasted Bread
SNIGDIBBLY (Guest Post)
Coffee Grounds
Post by bgarey
(03/29/2006)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

I always like sunshine to get rid of moldy smells - if it's not suede - you could also try gentle spraying with antiseptic spray - (try a small spot first) - or how about antispetic spray that is meant for human skin? Ot you could at least spray the lining with the spray - Also try Febreeze. (03/29/2006)

By pamphyila

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

If your briefcase is smooth leather, try wiping the mildew with white vinegar, the kind you buy in grocery stores. Do not use on suede or nubuck. I've used this many times on smooth leather shoes, and I've never had the vinegar discolor the leather. Try first in an inconspicuous spot and let dry just as a safeguard. Tori (03/29/2006)

By truerblue

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

Does anyone know how to clean of mildew from leather car seat?

Endsy from Houston, TX

Feedback:

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

You need to use a professional mold killer on this something like Em Clean from LTT. This will kill the spores and prevent them from coming back.

LTTsolutions<net/a>
Leather care consultants (11/20/2007)

By Leather Agony Aunt

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Do not try vinegar. This ruined my leather saddle for good, and I'm still trying to find ways to fix it. Bleach is also too strong. Find a pH neutral leather cleaner, available at a country supply or pet supply store.

So far, Listerine has been somewhat successful in removing it. (08/03/2008)

By Regal

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

I have a stunning vintage Hermes Kelly bag that was covered in mildew after being stored in a closet that I was unaware had a problem with damp. The mildew was white and covering the interior of this very valuable and beautiful bag. I did a little research and then realized that the best killer of mold that would not harm the leather or myself was Tea Tree Oil. It also nourished the leather as well as killing the mold spores. My bag is like new again and I am a happy girl. Good luck. PS- Never ingest tea tree oil, but it works great on mildew and athletes foot from gyms, hotel showers, etc. (12/13/2008)

By The Travelvixen

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

How do you clean mildew off of leather belts and leather boots?

By Linda from McKinney, TX

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

How do I remove mildew from a leather jacket?

By Faye from Wynne, AR

Feedback:

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Try car upholstery cleaner. (01/06/2010)

By bubbleswire

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

I need to remove mildew from my leather handbag from being left in a cupboard for about 4 months. We have rather a high humidity rate here, and so mildew tends to form pretty soon on articles left in closets.

By Mani Mare from Durban, South Africa

Feedback:

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Have you tried using saddle soap? (04/14/2010)

By laura343

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Had the same problem. What worked for me is that I wiped the handbag with a damp cloth to remove the worst. Then I grabbed one of those shoe polish bottles with the sponge applicator (my handbag was black so it was easy to match color), and gave the bag a good going over with the shoe polish. I allowed it to dry, and it now looks like new! (04/15/2010)

By cett

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

How do I remove mould from leather shoes?

By Nicole from Australia NSW

Old Leather Work Boots
Removing Mold and Mildew from Leather
Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherSeptember 22, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Old Leather Work Boots
Removing Mold and Mildew from Leather
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:16:03 PM on 10.0.2.186 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings