Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Mildew from Leather

How do I clean mold off of leather and suede?

By Eric from Cleveland, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Oliver12/16/2010

Have a look at a leather motorbike jacket I just cleaned. It was given a rub with a tea tree oil blend meant for a face steamer. The difference is huge! I will post if it fades but it looks good so far!

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

Does anyone know how to get the mildew odor out of leather jackets? I have two really nice jackets that were stored in my ex-husbands basement and hate to get rid of them. I tried cleaning them with saddle soap. Also tried fabric softner sheets in the pockets. But the odor is still there. I would really love to wear these again.

Thanks,
Kathie

Answers
White Vinegar
Post by truerblue
To remove mildew on leather items, rub the area with either white vinegar. By truerblue
Toasted Bread
SNIGDIBBLY (Guest Post)
My mother always used toasted bread slices to remove the smell of mildew from non-washable items. She would place the dry unbuttered toast between the layers and place in a non-airtight container and check and replace until the smell was all gone.
Coffee Grounds
Post by bgarey
You can try putting the jackets in black plastic garbage bags along with a cup of coffee grounds. Dry, unused coffee grounds. Tie the bag shut and leave it alone for about 3 days. Coffee grounds took the smell of rotting fish (don't ask!) out of my freezer and I've used it for all kinds of things since then. Good luck and let us know if it works!

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

What can be used to safely clean mildew off a leather briefcase that won't harm or discolor the leather?

Brenda from Knoxville, TN

Request: Removing Mildew from Leather

(format_html)

Thanks,
Kathie

Answers
White Vinegar
Post by truerblue
Toasted Bread
SNIGDIBBLY (Guest Post)
Coffee Grounds
Post by bgarey
(03/29/2006)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

I always like sunshine to get rid of moldy smells - if it's not suede - you could also try gentle spraying with antiseptic spray - (try a small spot first) - or how about antispetic spray that is meant for human skin? Ot you could at least spray the lining with the spray - Also try Febreeze. (03/29/2006)

By pamphyila

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

If your briefcase is smooth leather, try wiping the mildew with white vinegar, the kind you buy in grocery stores. Do not use on suede or nubuck. I've used this many times on smooth leather shoes, and I've never had the vinegar discolor the leather. Try first in an inconspicuous spot and let dry just as a safeguard. Tori (03/29/2006)

By truerblue

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

Does anyone know how to clean of mildew from leather car seat?

Endsy from Houston, TX

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

You need to use a professional mold killer on this something like Em Clean from LTT. This will kill the spores and prevent them from coming back.

LTTsolutions Leather care consultants (11/20/2007)

By Leather Agony Aunt

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Do not try vinegar. This ruined my leather saddle for good, and I'm still trying to find ways to fix it. Bleach is also too strong. Find a pH neutral leather cleaner, available at a country supply or pet supply store. So far, Listerine has been somewhat successful in removing it. (08/03/2008)

By Regal

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

I have a stunning vintage Hermes Kelly bag that was covered in mildew after being stored in a closet that I was unaware had a problem with damp. The mildew was white and covering the interior of this very valuable and beautiful bag. I did a little research and then realized that the best killer of mold that would not harm the leather or myself was Tea Tree Oil. It also nourished the leather as well as killing the mold spores. My bag is like new again and I am a happy girl. Good luck. PS- Never ingest tea tree oil, but it works great on mildew and athletes foot from gyms, hotel showers, etc. (12/13/2008)

By The Travelvixen

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

How do you clean mildew off of leather belts and leather boots?

By Linda from McKinney, TX

Archive: Removing Mildew from Leather

How do I remove mildew from a leather jacket?

By Faye from Wynne, AR

RE: Removing Mildew from Leather

Try car upholstery cleaner. (01/06/2010)

By bubbleswire