Address Labels Can Get Stuck In Shredder

Beware of shredding those free address labels you get in the mail. I had a shredder that previously handled (quite nicely) the address labels - and then it didn't. I'll have to replace the unit. I spent an hour pulling out bits of labels with needle nose pliers and asked DH to check it out, too, after a long day at work. Expensive lesson.

So how do you get rid of addy labels in this day and age of identity theft? I am thinking of getting rid of the shredder top and keeping it as a trash can (just to recycle). It'll be known as my "$100 trash can".

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Hello...

Yes, you are right, it does make a mess in the shredder. I always put the sticky labels between other sheets of paper that need to be shredded, it works for me. I hope it works for you. Have a great weekend..

May I ask if they are only address labels why are you shredding them? Your name and address are available everywhere. I shred everything that has other personal information and offers of credit.

I peel the labels off and put them in the sink filled with a little water, after the labels are totally wet I roll them into balls and the little balls into one larger ball, they are all stuck together and totally unreadable.

I';m not sure I Understood why you wanted to shred return address labels? Why wouldn't you use them? I don't see how someone can steal your identity with just the name and address and it's out there lots of places anyway....are you listed in the phone book?

Hi, Holly,

I recently read a tip (not sure where, though!) that you should periodically oil the cutting blades of your shredder by thinly spreading some pure oil (like vegetable oil) onto a sheet of copier-weight paper and making a 'paper sandwich' with the oiled paper between two other sheets, then run the 3 sheets through your shredder. You then need to shred several single sheets that you have cut from the newspaper, to absorb the extra oil. The hint said that doing this once a year kept your blades sharp. I am suggesting it because sometimes oil-based materials will remove gummed materials (jar labels, etc) from other stuff, and might work on your shredder. As long as you are considering it 'trashed' now anyway, it can't do any harm to try this!

Nancy in Florida

I, also shred everything that has our name on it. We aren't listed in the phone book either since 1980. A couple years ago, somehow someone still got my then 10 year old son's social security number. The only thing we could think of then was the fact that we took our trash off to the trash pile in our town. Prisoners work there helping folks unload their trash. Back then when my son's ss # was stolen, we only had a strip shredder, we know better now. I go thru a shredder about 1 a year. You can never be too careful. I like the post from Poco, and plan on trying it when I'm between shredders.

I'm not worried that my address labels will create an identity theft problem, but a lot of times the address will be incorrect. I shred these because I often use address labels to fill in forms so I won't have to do all that writing...arthritis and sore hands...It doesn't make sense to use a label that isn't right. :)

It sounds a little paranoid to me!?!? How could they steal your identity with just your name and address? It's not like your ss# or any other information listed on your credit report is listed on the address label. Just my opinion...

There are several likely possibilities for having a problem with the paper shredder. Charity fundraising address labels that have foil borders are actually totally foil with white ink printed on top of the foil so that the laser printer toner has something to stick to. Foil is very hard on your typical cheap-o shredder.

I agree with the posts that recommend putting some oil in the shredder blades or sandwich it between paper. I would recommend a light machine oil that you can get at any hardware store.

As to shredders, your cheap ones typically will only last about a year. Your shredder should be a cross cut that meet Security level 3 standard. I have a Dahle shredder - they are more expensive up front, but they last much longer than the junk you get at office supply houses.

Lastly, I also agree that you have little to worry about if it is just your name and address. Any thief can simply take junk mail from your mail box and acquire that information without digging through smelly trash.

I never mail bills from my home because I had a thief take my outgoing credit card payment and forge a fake name and cash the check. (bank teller screwed up) I got the $1,800 back after a couple months of headaches. Moral of the story is that shredding is a good idea, but you have to do more than just shred.

Scott Lee

President

www.superiorlabels.com

I shred anything with my name and address on it.

I also put anything sticky, between other sheets of paper to prevent what happend to you shredder. Better luck next time when you buy one.

Don't let all these other folks make you stop shredding your information. It is better to be safe and not sorry. Any information, is too much information in this time of the internet. People still look in your trash for info. just like the stuff you have been shredding.

I too shred my addres labels not because I am worried about anyone getting my info but because I simply have gotten into the habit of shredding anything with my name on it

I get literally hundreds of address labels in the mail asking for donations monthly. Can't possibly use 'em up and I sure don't pay for them. Notifying these companies hasn't stopped the flood.

I too shred anything with my name and address on it regardless of whether or not they can steal my identity.

I had the same problem with those sticky labels ruining my shredder. I usually stick the labels on a scratch piece of paper first and then put it through the shredded. It's a little time consuming, but it's better than a ruined shredder.

Paper Shredding Tips
Paper Shredding Tips
Budget & Finance Identity TheftMay 31, 2007
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
Saving Money on Address Labels
Saving Money on Address Labels
🎉
🎄