Other Uses For Address Labels

Category Reusing

Often we receive free address labels in the mail; rather than throwing them away repurpose them. This is a guide about other uses for address labels.

We receive lots of solicitations that include sheets of address labels. Since we can't possibly use all that we receive, most would have to be trashed. Many of the labels have a small picture to the left of the address. By carefully cutting between the picture and address, we salvage strips of picture stickers that we give to our young grandchildren. Why pay for books of reward stickers, when we frequently receive them in the mail?

By Marsha from Greenville, NC

When going to places where they are going to have mailing lists and/or drawings (i.e. business expos,) that require you to enter your name and address on the entry blank, take along your address labels, and peel and stick them onto the entry blank. Just be sure to add your phone number if it is required.

This way it saves you time, and the name is easier to read if you are a winner. You always have extra address labels that are sent to you in the mail - this is a good way to use them.

I keep some in my glove compartment in my car in case I forget when I am going to an expo.

By cbar577329 from Plainfield, IL

Because I get so many return address labels, I use them to stick on refrigerated and frozen items. I write the name of the food with a magic marker on the label, covering up the address. This way food isn't so apt to spoil since the contents are known.

By Karen M M from New Martinsville, WV

Address labels can be used a number of ways. Stick one on the bottom of a dish of food you're taking to a potluck. Carry some in your wallet for that unexpected sweepstakes promotion you see in a grocery store. Keep some in your vehicle's glovebox compartment, for that greeting card, etc., you forgot to mail. Anything to keep you from having to handwrite your name and address over and over.

By Terri H. from NV

I seem to get a lot of address labels in the mail and like to put some in my purse. That way if I am somewhere that I need to hand write my address several times (i.e. at county fairs when you enter contest, etc.), I save my hand from cramping up by just using my labels!

By Penny B. from Mcveytown, PA

Placing a sticky address label (they come in the mail all the time) on the inside lid of your DVDs, books, under plates, or whatever you loan out makes it easier for the borrower to return them.

By Frances E. from Bath, PA

I love to attend street fairs, and I take along return address labels to use whenever I fill out any entry forms or the like. People always comment on how smart I am!

By Linda

Do you get too many return address labels in the mail like I do? When this happens I cut off the names and then I have some pretty or cute little stickers for my envelopes and packages.

When charities send them, cut them into strips, cut off the artwork, and put some in your wallet. They're great for use on small forms such as raffle or door prize tickets, rebate forms, or anywhere else that a tiny name and address is required.

These can be used to attach to DVD's, books or other things that you own and want a reminder to return to you.

All of us get "free" return address labels from various charitable organizations and they pile up. Here are some ways to use them.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Quite a while ago I purchased several boxes of white return address labels and can't return them to the store. The dimensions are 1/2" x 1 3/4" and can't use them in my printer. I tried setting my printer for the smallest type, but part of my address is cut off so I can't use them for address labels.

I tried selling them at a reduced price, but have had no luck. I would appreciate any suggestions of how these labels can be used because I really don't want to throw them away.

Marge from NY

Answers

What is the brand (Avery)? What is the purpose for labels this size according to the box? I think you could use them as file folder labels. Maybe write the months of the year on and use in a file cabinet for bills, cancelled checks, birthday and anniversary reminders. Use as price tags at a garage sale or on craft items.

Thanks for your tips and yes they are Avery 8167 Ink Jet. I was able to use them with my old HP Windows 98SE, but cannot get the print small enough in order to print out a 3 line address with my Windows XP.

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Marge from NY

Do you have Microsoft Word?
There is an option of going into that program and printing labels there.
Go to tools -> letters & mailings -> envelopes & labels -> options -> and scroll down to address labels 8167.

You can also use them for gift tags - either by printing on them, or writing on by hand.

Do you have Microsoft Word?

Yes, I have Microsoft Word, and I checked yesterday and the label shows that only two lines can be typed, so I can't use them for a 3 line address. I just happened to purchase the wrong size label and am stuck with 4 boxes. Oh well live and learn that's what I say!

Marge from NY

I just found this money saving tip on my home page:

Special Delivery Savings

You can reuse envelopes by putting an adhesive label over the original address. This is easy to do with most envelopes, but the biggest savings are on large or padded envelopes that cost around $1.00 apiece to buy. I put them aside so I never have to make a special trip to buy envelopes. You can save money, and save trees while you're at it!

So if all fails I can still use them to cover over the addresses of envelopes and reuse them.

Marge from NY

Marge,

In Microsoft Word there may be an option to 'remove the space before the paragraph'. See if that helps to center the type better. I just went through this with Windows Vista. There was too much space at the top and the bottom was cut off. I also had the very small labels and when I adjusted the space I got three lines on it.

I am at home on the Mac now but I think it was the Format >Paragraph tab. You should be able to reduce the spacing there.

Don't throw them away yet. Good luck.

Have you checked out the Avery website? http://enu.prin  ry.com/SelectSku and enter 8167 in the "find product number" box. They have some cute templates you might be able to use.

I use a program called Print Artist... if has settings for each & every size of label... PLUS the "Avery" brand is listed by it's number for each label... Print Artist formats my computer to accept any size label, I was surprised at how easy it was... (& I'm NO computer wiz!)... I'm sure there are other "Print" type of programs that also do this... Sometimes these older Printing programs are super cheap & you can even buy them at garage sales or thrift stores... Just be sure your computer or printer isn't to new for them.

You might try hp.com's Activity Center. It's free. Click on "Home Office & Business Templates", then find list of "Business Kits". Click on each of them - I like the Nature design - until you find a design you like. You can print stationery, business cards, fax forms, invoices, mailing labels, and Avery 8167 return address labels. I hope this works for you.

I have found these labels useful in marking dishes containing food that are taken to another location, so that they won't be lost. They will wash off after the dish is returned to you. I also found that, if you fold them in half around an electrical cord, you can label it to avoid future confusion. Good luck and God bless you!

Avery 5167 will also work.

Why not use them as file folder labels?

I have the same labels go to averys website listed on the package. They have a program that is quick and easy and sets the text to the label standards. That worked for me. I couldn't use my standard programs I had either cuz of the print size. hope this helps

Use them in a few ways:

-file folder labels
-covers for postal labels on boxes
-labels for storage boxes
-plug labels for electrical, computer, appliances
-Print gift labels with them - two lines and room for a small picture is all you need!
-Put one of them on over where you need to hole punch something and it will be reinforced for long term use.
-I print phone numbers on mine and put them on phones for my office.
-Use them to label little cards and candies with "thank you" or "happy halloween!"
-Let your kids or grandkids loose with them - they can draw pictures that they can wear!
-use them as price tags at bake sales, garage sales, church sales, etc.

I used my plain labels to use on my canning jars and put what I canned and the date on them. Who needed those fancy labels.

Some one posted a suggestion that I should check out the Avery website. She was so kind as to post the link. I went to the site and typed in the label number then chose a design and for the very first time was able to print out return address labels successfully.

The print is small but I don't mind at least I didn't have to throw them away, and now I have use for them. I even printed out a sheet of return address labels and mailed them to our son who is a career soldier in the army. He is always moving from one duty station to another and constantly has address changes.
Marge from NY

I have some address labels like what you are talking about. I use them on my CD's that I burn to keep up with what is on which CD as well as on my VHS tapes for the same reason.

Hope this helps.

Tonya

maybe you could print on some just your first and last name then the others your address and city and state abbrviated so its shorter then put the too together on your mail going out. since your printer will not serve them in such small print, might work. also print some pretty clip art some and use on the backs of mail going out to brighten some ones day or even use them as tape to close gifts up when wrapped.

Use them as labels for other things. I have some I cannot print on. I use them in my kitchen and other places, I need to label. I just print one word (sugar, coffee, etc) on the label