Browsing: Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Beagle Puppy Has Severe Itching

I have a 50 day old beagle. Suddenly he has developed severe itching on the back and sometimes bites his hind feet. He had fleas when we got him and I removed all of them. Earlier he didn't have any itching problem but suddenly it developed and now it is very severe. Any possible causes you can think of?

Anay from Mumbai, India

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Since you only have a 6 week old pup, you should consider Sarcoptic Mange as a culprit. You didn't say if your pup had scabs or not. Pups can commonly have Staph. skin infections too. Ringworm is another reason they can become very itchy. If there is hair missing then you should definitely see a vet for an exam. It is time for his vaccinations and deworming too. You can use some Lime Dip to bath him in if the label says you have use it on that young of a pup. It stinks and will stain concrete and silver rings, but it will help with bacterial, fungal, and mange mite problems.

My dog is having such a hard time. He has a boil cyst under his armpit (took him to doctors) he keeps licking and scratching at. His ears he is scratching till they bleed and around his eyes. He is on Duck & Potato diet. He has had several cortisone shots. Vet said taking him to allergist (in our area would cost 800 to start) would be useless, they dog would still itch. He is so miserable he is growling at us and our guests. What to do? I don't want him to turn mean we have 2 boys, but he is not a happy dog.

I know it was bad breeding, not his fault. He is only 2, he is terrior/chu mix. Any ideas. I love this dog. I can keep him away from other and the kids know when to stay away from the dog, but his is not fair to all of us. He is not a happy dog, and we have to be as of now slightly afraid of him. Does anyone else have a dog that is allergic to almost everything? Help.

This link will help you to understand some whys to your pet itching badly. I would see a veterinarian since he is so miserable. It's persistent and not going away on its own. Something definitely is wrong.

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/ditch.html

Without seeing the puppy, it's really impossible to determine the cause and the course of action. It could be fleas, allergies, mange (at least one type of mange is contagious to humans), lots of possibilities.

I would definitely advise you take your puppy to the veterinarian, who will be able to tell you what your puppy is suffereing from.

When we got our beagle, he developed severe itching and made himself raw in a few places. The vet said he had a severe allergic reaction to the flea bites. She gave him a shot to help with allergic reaction and started him on a flea control program. We bathe him regularly, make sure his blankets are washed often and vacuum often. These habits benefit his humans, too! (He is fine now. )

I had a rescue dog who developed a terrible allergy, he lost all his coat, had sore swollen feet, and came out in terrible sores around his face and neck, the Vet treated him for allergies and put him on cortisone, then one day I spoke to a different vet about my pigs itching and asked him if what they had was contagious, no dogs cant catch mange from pigs he said, but to give my pigs a DECTOMAX injection. Well if it works on pigs I looked up on the internet and found others had use this on their dogs. 1ml for a dog of about 14kg, 1 injection a week for four weeks, It is now 4 weeks since Rex's last injection and he is better, no more sores, fur has grown back and he is a very happy little boy, only 13 months old, but he hurt for more then six months of his life. He is well and looking lovely. not a thing the Vets did for him helped, but the pigs injections worked a miricle.

You can remove the fleas, but if your dog lives outside or his sleeping area is not treated, the fleas will be right back on him. It sounds to me like this has happened, and that he has a flea allergy.

Food allergies would be my guess. What are you feeding the dog? Probably allergic to his food.

It sounds like an allergy to me. Our dog was allergic to flea bites or flea poop. I'm not sure which it was. He had to get cortisone shots at the vets office.

Get him to a vet.

Try Vinegar on a cotton ball to dab on the "hot spots" It works for some.. I also put Baking Soda in the rinse water when I give our dog a bath. There is a product called Sour Apple that works for some, but didn't help "Buddy". Good Luck, GG Vi

My pekingese has the same problems. I finally had to take her to the vet, she was scratching herself raw and bleeding. I found out she has food allergies. Her problems were under the skin. I felt so bad I cried. The vet gave me meds for her. I now have a baby sweater on her so when she scratches, she is scratching the sweater and not herself. I wish you luck with this because the dog is in pain.

We feed our beagle-cocker spaniel toddler biscuits called Advanced for Sensitive Skin and it has made the world of difference, he no longer itches at all. We also give him cod liver oil once a day (one human tablet) which has also helped.

My three year old beagle had gotten to the point of severe canine stress due to allergic reactions to flea bits, and severe skin allergies, after trying everything known to man. I treat her monthly with advantage, wash her every other week with oatmeal shampoo and one human cod liver oil capsule a day. She's 100 % recovered. now I sleep at night not hearing her non-stop scratching. Thanks P.S. The cod liver oil also helped her loss the 5 lbs excess weight she carried.

We have a beagle as well. She began itching badly too. We found out later thought she had dry skin. Feed your pup 1 COD liver oil pill per day and it will get rid of dry skin and leave the pup with a nice shiny coat.

Our Beagle is a year old and has been itching since she was a couple of months old. It started with fleas and I immediately started her on Frontline. She hasn't had fleas for nine months, but she still itches all the time. A couple of months ago I took her to the vet. First, he tried Prescription Diet for allergies. That didn't seem to help. Next, he tried prednisone. The problem with that is it is dangerous to keep her on. I tried taking her off the prednisone and she goes back to itching and chewing on herself. I don't see any dry skin or evidence of fleas. She goes crazy during all times of the year. We just tried the medication Atopica which cost $160 for a 30 day supply with no relief. I don't want to have to take her out of the area to a specialist. Her coat is still shiny and smooth.

My dog has the same problem. I give her Benadryl every morning and that seems to help. I have also used topical sprays that people use for poison ivy or other itchy skin problems. GOOD LUCK!

My beagle/toy terrier is itching a lot too. I don't know what it is so far. I've yet to take him to the vet to find out. He had fleas when we got him as well, and since about two days after I had him there were no more, so I don't think its that.

I'd love to know if you ever figured out what yours had, and what did you do to help.

Let me know, thanks!

you can email me at

allyjoe AT gmail.com

Many dogs not just Beagles are allergic to Fleas. Just because he/she is on Flea medication does not mean the flea has not already bitten the dog. All bites itch. There is only a few who are not allergic to the bite and do not itch when bitten. Also, try taking your dog to a good groomer. They cut the nails squeeze anal glands and really give the dog a good bath, better than you could ever give him, ask for an oatmeal Bath.

I know everyone says, "I am giving my dog a good quality food".Really do your research. Benitful, Pedegree, Science diet and Iams are only "middle of the road" type foods. There is Wellness (this is my favorite - white fish & sweat potato), Nova, Prairrie. These are high grade foods that are a bit hard to get a hold of at Petco. They are mostly sold at specialty food stores. If none of this works try to use benadryll ask your vet for the dosage. I hope I have helped you. Good luck

My beagle Daisy has had sever itching. She has hot spots in her elbows and her legs. I have tried different foods, steroids, antibiotics, and prescription shampoo. I will try the cod liver oil. Thanks for the suggestions!

I took in a large hound mix about a month ago. I treated her fleas right off the bat, but she has still been itching constantly. I took her to the vet, who checked for skin infections (fungus, mites, etc.). She didn't find anything and told me to switch foods, give her fish oil supplements, and give her an oatmeal bath. I took her suggestions and bought her the Wellness Whitefish and Sweetpotato formula dog food (quite expensive) and have been giving her a fish oil tablet with every meal. She has still been itching constantly, so I asked the vet if I could give her a Benadryll to alleviate the itching in the mean time. The vet approved, so I have been doing that as well. Any idea of how long the fish oil and new food will take to get her body adjusted and back on track? A couple weeks? A month? A couple months? I just hate to see my dog suffer and want to know how long I should wait before trying something else.

My dog itched horrible. I took him to the vet and she told me to try fish oil caps and Acidopilus. I buy it from krogers. It is from Sundown. I break the caplet in half (Cosmo only weight 17 pounds) and my dog just eats it like a treat. Has helped so much. Also, you can use tea tree oil mixed with their shampoo (very little though, making sure not to get into eyes). Must keep the Acidopilus in the fridge.

My 6 month old beagle itches a lot. please help. When he was 5 months old, something bit him and his mouth got swollen. I had to take him to the vet, and they treated him with bendryl.

We have a beagle that is 18 months and had severe itching. I found a website that suggested the dog has allergies to grain products so I changed his food to GO Natural grain free dog food and also gave him omega 3 with dinner. The itching stopped! And he seems to like the food better. This works! The Omega came from 1800petmeds.com

Most hunting dog breeds secrete oil from their skin to help their fur repel water. This also caused their extreme itching problems. I just started the fish oil, but we have gotten some relief by shampooing her withe tail and mane shampoo (it gets rid of a great deal of the oil) every two weeks. Lots of brushing helps also by getting rid of all the excess fur they shed. and baby powder in between shampoos. Oh yes, and the benedryl. That helps a lot with her itching. It is the nature of these dogs. You just have to keep up with a routine. Also keep their bedding free of their fur by running through the dryer once or twice a week. (It also gets rid of dust mites)

Fleas are probably back, just not to the point that you notice them. It takes just one bite on a dog with a flea allergy to cause incessant itching, just like a person with just one mosquito bite. Treat for fleas before you see them, because most likely they are indeed there.

December 31, 2007 Flag

I have a beagle. She is always itching! I have looked on her, I only found 1 flea. It looks to me like she has dry skin. Is there anything I can use of her that is very cheap!

Thanks,
Dee from NY

Answers:

My dog is itching

My dogs seem to need either cod liver oil or some source of vitamin A. I just cut up one human capsule into the dog food. Not every day because fat soluble vitamins are stored by the body and an overdose is possible. Commercial dog food seems to be lacking in important nutrients.

Once I had an Afghan with particularly sensitive skin. The vet prescribed raw liver, with vegetable oil, zinc, and a bit of iodine. That was good for her. (02/10/2005)

By Barbaral

My Beagle Is Itching

I had a dauschound with dry skin and the vet said to give her 1 Tablespoon full of Corn Oil every day in her food. She weighed 35 lbs. She was the old fashioned breed. (02/10/2005)

By Anna from Maine

My Beagle Is Itching

If you found one flea you can be sure there are more! And if she has fleas they are probably in her environment, waiting to hop back onto her! Getting rid of the fleas may go a long way to stopping the itching and dry skin as dogs commonly get an allergic dermatitis with flea bites. I use Frontline spray, (2.5g/l Fipronil), which not only kills the fleas on the dogs but lasts 10-12 weeks, so kills any from the environment that hop back onto the dogs. In practice I've found that I don't need to spray that often as there are now no fleas in their home environment and they only get fleas if we mix with other dogs, either at their home of when I pet sit my friend's dog at my home. Frontline is fairly expensive for its initial purchase but is used in a measured dose by weight of dog and the pack contains multiple doses. Since I started using Frontline I have never used any other flea treatments on my dogs or in my home and, as I said, unless they come in contact with other dogs I don't usually have to retreat.

Regards

Jo (02/10/2005)

By Jo Bodey

My Beagle Is Itching

My dog, a cairn terrier/cocker spaniel mix had a bad skin problem. She was very red and itchy. The vet said it was probably her food. Often dogs are allergic to the dyes or additives in their food. And we weren't feeding her cheap stuff. We switched her to Puina's Little Bites and she has had no problem. The Purina brand of basic dog foods seems to be fine for most dogs. You don't have to buy the really expensive Science diet or Iams brands. Just look for something where meat is the first ingredient and that it doesn't come in "3 different flavors" which really means dyed colors. The dyes are the worst.

For those of you that have already tried this and it hasn't helped, you might want to ask you doctor about a protein allergy. Dogs can be allergic to protein. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. If a dog is allergic to protein, then they have to be put on a special diet where the food is mostly made from fish and vegetables. And expect that your dog will always be a bit underweight, but otherwise healthy. We have raised a dog with this allergy.

The main way to know if it is allergies, is look at their skin when they haven't been scratching it. Is it all red and blotchy? Sounds like hives.

Also, if your dog is itching constantly, do not rule out mange. This is a VERY serious condition that needs to be treated by a vet right away. The itching will get worse and worse until your dog will do nothing but itch. It won't even want to eat. And it will be loosing it's fur. At that point, you often have to put the dog down.

If you aren't getting an answer from your vet that satisfies you, don't be afraid to go to another vet. It is your pet and your money. Don't pay for bad advice!

Good luck.

Heather (02/10/2005)

By plantgirl848

My Beagle Is Itching

Try a bit of olive oil mixed in with her food. This helped our dog with itchy skin. Good luck! (02/11/2005)

By Suzie

My Beagle Is Itching

You have my sympathy. It's hard watching the poor things scratch till you think they're raw. I have a cockapoo (cross between a cockerspaniel & Poodle) he has more poodle in him w/thick curly hair and very pale skin. I've changed his food already but he still scratched. I started bathing him w/a medicated shampoo and rinsing him with an Aveeno 'rinse'. It helped w/the scratching and his coat is very soft now. Good LUck!! (02/11/2005)

By Vicky

My Beagle Is Itching

My Beagle itches a lot, too. She was tested for allergies. One flea bite will give her a red rash, itchy ears, etc. She scratches her tummy and ears constantly through the allergy season unless I limit her time outdoors to keep her away from insects and certain grasses and wax myrtle which cause her allergies. You should take your dog to a vet, though, because it could possibly be a more serious problem and your vet can give you a diagnosis for YOUR dog and an appropriate method of treatment. My beagle is much happier now that our vet determined the cause of her itching and helped me with ways to control it (and it was not very expensive). (02/11/2005)

By beagleowner

My Beagle Is Itching

I had a cocker spaniel years ago that had terrible skin allergies. We did everything --- steroids, etc. After everything failed, I started using baby oil on her a couple of times a day (on the hot spots), and she eventually cleared up. (02/16/2005)

By dse77

My Beagle Is Itching

My granddog had the same problem when he came to live with us.He was a border collie and Fritz mix,very long hair and shedding badly.We added a Tablespoon of Essential Fatty Acids to his food daily.The dry skin cleared,his shedding almost stopped and his coat was soft and shiny.My son had tried every product on him imaginable up to this point.The problem comes from within and must be treated this way if you are to get long term success.A mixture of essential fatty acids is best.A little more expensive than the olive oil,but worth it.I'm concerned about the person using motor oil on their pooch since it is full of toxic chemicals that could possibly cause liver and other organ damage.I'm sure this person means well,but the treatment could be worse than the problem long term.Essential fatty acids don't cause the build up problem that cod liver oil can.Hope this helps.Also I use Masters Miracle Moisturizing liquid soapas a shampoo.It doesn';t have the chemicals and perfumes that dog shampoos have.Good for humans too.Can find it on internet or in some health food stores,but name has recently changed to Nature Rich.Very concentrated.I dilute it down by half with distilled water and it only takes about a quarter size for asmall to med.dog (05/01/2006)

By Darlene

My Beagle Is Itching

Number One: Make sure your dog has fatty oils, like omega-3 in his food, most dogfoods have corn and not animal protein as their main ingredient.

Number Two: Does he itch more after you mop/clean floors? My dog had bad reactions to Pine-sol, and would run upstairs when I mopped with Mr.Clean. I have since stopped and use Basic H by Shaklee. It is all natural and REALLY WORKS. Plus my dog can sit in the room with me, along with my baby while I clean because of no harsh fumes, but works like windex! Their Basic G is also great for killing fleas. If you'd like more info on these products, leave me a message or email me at healthy_home101@hotmail.com or check them out at www.shaklee.net, my distributor ID is ZM06763 (05/02/2006)

By camo_angels

My Beagle Is Itching

Please consider a little bacon grease on the dogs food. We have had great success with this old fashioned remedy.
It doesn't take alot, tablespoon 1x weekly. You will see a big improvement with pets.
Their fur becomes so shiney as well.
Over all everyone is happier. (01/03/2007)

By Judith

My Beagle Is Itching

(See Post By tina (Guest Post) (02/11/2005))

I work in the automotive industry.

USED MOTOR OIL will KILL your pet!

Tim (02/09/2007)

By Tim C.

My Beagle Is Itching

Yes we too have a itchy beagle. The vet said she was allergic to wheat. so we have to give her Potato and Duck dog food only. They make dog treats as well . It seemed to help, good luck. (11/06/2007)

By Lori

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Pets DogsDecember 31, 2007
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Beagle in the grass.
Beagle Breed Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 23, 2016 at 9:04:08 AM on 10.0.2.220 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.