Packaging Pies to Sell

I want to start a home business making sweet potato pies. My pies are amazing. I need to know how to have them packaged and sent to stores? Any help would be appreciated.

By a219170 from NJ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

In some states you can make the items at home. My cousin & her husband supply pies for some local restaurants. They have a commercial kitchen in their home. I don't think you'd have much luck with grocery stores. Most of the restaurants in my state don't make their own pies (with a few exceptions). They are supplied by people like my cousin. I was surprised at the number of people that thought these places make their own pies.

As far as packaging goes different restaurants want them packaged differently. Most of the pies my cousin just puts in a pie stacker to keep them safe since most of them are going to be sliced & sold by the slice. The restaurants have their own packaging they use for the ones they sell whole.

The first thing you need to do if you want to sell at more than a bake sale is to check out your state regulations! Many states require a license (to ensure food safety) before you can sell commercially. You may need to use an approved kitchen, or stores cannot sell your wares. (You may be able to "rent" kitchen time at a church or other commercially approved kitchen.)

Good luck!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Woman in red checked apron holding homemade lattice crust pie
Selling Homemade Pies
Business and Legal BusinessApril 10, 2009
Plastic Packaging
Removing Plastic Packaging
Yellow Plastic Container on White Background
Uses for Plastic Packaging
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 11:55:45 AM on 10.0.2.180 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.