Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Packaging Pies to Sell

I want to start a home business making sweet potato pies. My pies are amazing. I need to know how to have them packaged and sent to stores? Any help would be appreciated.

By a219170 from NJ

By Debbie Eubanks09/28/2009

In some states you can make the items at home. My cousin & her husband supply pies for some local restaurants. They have a commercial kitchen in their home. I don't think you'd have much luck with grocery stores. Most of the restaurants in my state don't make their own pies (with a few exceptions). They are supplied by people like my cousin. I was surprised at the number of people that thought these places make their own pies.

As far as packaging goes different restaurants want them packaged differently. Most of the pies my cousin just puts in a pie stacker to keep them safe since most of them are going to be sliced & sold by the slice. The restaurants have their own packaging they use for the ones they sell whole.

By sandy [63]05/17/2009

If you are making home baked goods why not make the pie crust from scratch?

By gbk [45]04/12/2009

I think I would just sell my pies to whom ever out of your kitchen that wishes them. Like people at church and so forth and when the word gets around you can do like my friend and remodel the kitchen take in the sewing room and sell pies. GO FOR IT!

By Deanj04/11/2009

In addition to the other posts you also need to find a market. Grocery stores just don't take on another product. After you know what the regulations are in your state contact a grocery store and find out what their policies are. It will be difficult but good luck.

By Kim 04/11/2009

It is not legal to prepare food for sale out of the home. It has to be a separate kitchen tha passes all the state regulations. You will need a food handlers liscence among a bunch of other red tape.

If you want to make a few pies to sell at church or to friends. Then that is ok. But if you want to market them in a Store than you have to do things legally.

By Jill [4]04/10/2009

The first thing you need to do if you want to sell at more than a bake sale is to check out your state regulations! Many states require a license (to ensure food safety) before you can sell commercially. You may need to use an approved kitchen, or stores cannot sell your wares. (You may be able to "rent" kitchen time at a church or other commercially approved kitchen.)

Good luck!