Can I Reuse Cat Litter Containers for Food Storage?

When the large hard plastic container of Tidy Cat litter is empty, is it safe to place food or water for humans in it?

By Diane from Port Huron, MI

Of course! Being a cat owner myself, I have collected many of these containers over the years and have kept every one and use them for storage for everything. Anyway, I run mine through the dishwasher or simply wash it by hand in very hot soapy water and let it dry thoroughly. To store food items though I would definitely run the container and its lid through the dishwasher.

Here is a partial list of things I store in them:

Out of season clothes

Craft supplies such as yarn, material, etc

Out of season linens and curtains

Extra pet toys (my spoiled babies have too many to keep out all at once!)

I also keep one next to the cat box with a plastic bag in it to put the scooped litter into

They make great bathroom trash cans if your pets like to get into the trash.

Literally all kinds of things!

So yes, the containers can be reused. Just be sure and wash them thoroughly first. You can also cover them with Contact paper to match your decor. Something I do when storing clothes or linens is to add one fabric softener sheet before putting on the lid. This keeps the items inside smelling fresh.

Yes, sure! It's just plastic, and the former contents were a sterile industrial product, that has been super-dried at very high temperatures.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

I would not use a cat litter bucket for food storage unless it had the numbers 2,4,5 to indicate it was safe for food. Other wise it may leach toxins and other harm full chemicals into the food.

Food storage, hmmmm, only for extra canned goods I would think. I certainly would not use for bulk loose beans and such. I use mine for storing camping gear, Christmas decorations, fabric and what not. The are great for containing those unruly plastic bags we get at the grocer, too They also can be painted if you are so inclined. Just use the spray that is suitable for plastic patio furniture. I've often thought that they could be screwed together to make a wall unit. I've not tried that yet though.

I always say don't reuse food containers for future food or beverage use other than if recycle #2, 4 or 5 but you also need to know that original containers for food are different than for other non-food original contained products.

Kitty litter containers are generally #2 but there are two types of processes used to make plastics. The chemical used to release the plastic from the mold determines if the plastic will be food grade or not (food grade is a more expensive process). I personally wouldn't risk putting food into anything that held non-food type contents that could potentially contaminate the food anyway. And not just for humans but also food for pets.

Nothing should be used for food that doesn't say it is intended for food. Toxins from plastic can leitch into the food and poisen you.

No. Food should only be stored in food safe plastics. I am able to bring mine to recycling.

No way would I use it for food. To store non-edible items, yes, but food, no.

Most people are unaware that these bin-type containers are food safe, and have a recycling number of #5, (Polypropylene (PP) ). If you turn it over, and you see a 5 with three arrows around it, you will know.

#5 (pp) is used for Ketchup bottles, yogurt containers, margarine tubs, and medicine bottles. As far as the chemicals used to release them from the molds, only certain kinds can be used on certain numbers so #5s, Cleaned well, and sterilized, should be fine.

I had the same question, and wrote an e-mail to Purina. Their answer to me was: "We appreciate your interest in our products. Please know the fragrance used in litter can be absorbed by plastic, as such; litter containers should not be reused if the lingering odor is a concern (i.e. for food or water storage"

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wised up one day while I was shopping for Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use to if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail. I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger.

I have a new little granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children.

(I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

I use these buckets to make kits to keep in my car. The kit has food items that I keep in the original containers. A typical kit will include peanut butter, graham crackers, bottles of water, oatmeal, brown sugar, dried cranberries, asst other snacks in ziplock bags. It doesn't matter if it is food grade or not if it is just a convenient storage bin and not in direct contact with the food. Similar kits are useful as gifts for the homeless and poor.

Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 26, 2010
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Food Storage Containers
Using Food Storage Containers
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🎄