Reusing Motor Oil

Has anyone tried to pour waste oil from tractors or automobiles into a newspaper log roll and let it soak in? I would think for a wood stove it would be a way to recycle oil as well. What are your thoughts? Would it burn too hot? Thanks.

By Smoky from MI

Not a good idea! Not good for your woodstove, not good for your lungs & not good for the environment! The oil will leave a film inside your stove-pipe & if you burn it enough, it can eventually leave a film on your roof & siding as well.

You can take used motor oil into any garage or quickie oil-change place (like Jify Lube) or any place that changes oil. I think Schucks & other Auto Parts stores as well. These places will recycle your oil for free! Pretty cool! You get rid of the old oil, AND they recycle it & put it back into use making other products!

Other places that use old oil. Asphalt companies that use it to build roads. We have one right down the street. I'm wondering if it was filtered good enough if it could be use in those old oil-burning oil-furnaces?

Not the way to go. If you burn oil soaked newspaper you will get a huge amount of smoke. In that used oil are small amounts of heavy metal from the engine. Not good for the lungs. There are furnaces that do burn used oil. In my town the public works garage has one of those heaters. People in town,such as myself, who change our own oil take the used oil to the garage and they burn it it the special designed furnace for that purpose during the winter. NY use oil comes from my snow thrower, lawn mower and generator.

There are waste oil burners for furnaces, staining a wooden fence, undercoating cars, saved and sold in large quantities.

Take the oil back to where you purchased it. Most places require proof of purchase. We have a wood burning stove and this is a definite NO NO. Also we do not burn soft woods such as pine. I would think burning motor oil soaked papers could create a chimney fire too! Please recycle your oil.

There are people who look for used oil to use in special furnaces. I am not sure how to find them, but I know they are out there! A good place to start would probably be local garages who are required to take back used oil anyway. They probably know who some of these people are and may even use it themselves.

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 28, 2009
Motor Oil on Concrete
Cleaning Motor Oil Stains From Concrete
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet