Giving to the Goodwill

There was an column in the week that made me think...the author was soooo right.

He said when you donate to Goodwill or another charity, only donate stuff that is good. Don't use Goodwill as a place to throw away your trash. If something is too worn out, stained, damaged beyond repair, or just plain out of fashion...put it in the trash, don't give it to Goodwill for them to throw away. That costs them money.

I have both given stuff to Goodwill that my kids or I have outgrown... and I am a regular shopper at thrift stores. I am disgusted when I come across stuff that no one should have to wear. Furthermore, there are a few souls who have given me clothes for my children that should have been thrown away. I end up throwing it away...because I won't give stuff like that to Goodwill.

Boy, give me a topic and I run with it.

At any rate, when you donate to charity, make sure that you are doing a good deed.

I am very thankful when I find something really great at a thrift store.

I once wondered about this exact issue, and I called and asked if certain items that I had (worn out clothing, specifically) should be thrown away. I was told by Goodwill that things are sorted, and that often, items that we would consider to be worn out are sent to third world nations and that the fabric is used there. These items are supposedly not put in the stores here in the states, but the items are considered usable in places where the people have nothing.

The local goodwill accepts worn-out items and sells them as bundled rags, so much per pound, to several area businesses.

I agree that something should NOT be donated to GW that is obvious trash, but, things that are not in fashion should still be donated. People are always looking for "funky" out of current fashion clothing to wear as costumes in plays for high school, halloween, parties, etc.

Also, in the last year, I purchased two HUGH bags (about 30 lbs. each) of clothing from a thrift store (not GW because as stated earlier, GW sells their unuseable clothing by the pound to companies that want the fabric) for less than $3.00 a bag, I cut up the clothing to make cloth diapers, cloth baby wipes, cloth family wipes (instead of toilet paper), and to sew other items. Just because you don't want something anymore, certainly doesn't mean it is trash. I cut all of the buttons off of the shirts, pants, etc. and have either used them in sewing projects or let the kids use them in craft projects. Even good zippers can be reused in another project.

Baby in a Bubble Bath
Giving a Baby a Bath
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Friendship Ball in a box.
Giving a Friendship Ball
Large Outdoor Blue Goodwill Sign
Organizing Goodwill Donations
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 12:38:51 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.