Senior Discount Day at the Goodwill

Category Senior Living
Be sure to get all the discounts that your years on the planet have awarded you. This is a guide about senior discount day at the Goodwill.

I desperately needed some new sweat pants but can't afford them new so I stopped at my local Goodwill Store after a doctor's appointment this morning and scoped out the racks. I ended up finding three really, really nice 'almost new' pairs in the colors I was hoping for and all three only came to $8.99 total!

I was so happy and even happier when the woman at the counter asked about my age and guess what? Because I am 56 I received a senior citizen discount of 20% which reduced the price to $7.19 total. That's only about $2.40 per pair.

Lucky me to have stopped there on a Monday because that happens to be my local Goodwill Store Senior Discount Day. So, if you're a senior citizen and don't mind shopping Goodwill, it's well worth calling your local Goodwill to see if they have Senior Discount Day(s). :-)

By Ann from Richland, WA

Top Comment

A funny story. I was visiting family in WV and going to stop and pickup sister in law for a day of shopping at all the thrift stores. Brother called and asked me to stop at the convenience store and pick up a six pack of beer.

Went in found what I needed and went to the register and the young man asked for my ID. I chuckled and said oh yes will gladly show it. He laughed and said well maam you sure look good for your age. I left beaming, saying to myself, oh yes, I still got it.

Picked up all the girls and headed shopping. We found a mega Goodwill store. My gift to the girls was 50 dollars and told them to go crazy. Went to the register with 3 heaping buggies. The young girl behind the counter said oh, you will get the senior citizens discount. I cackled in laughter,, was so funny. Only in WV could I get carded in the morning and a senior discount in the evening.

Top Comment

I wanted to add that perhaps it varies Goodwill to Goodwill. Mine here in my hometown gives 15% off to Seniors on Wed; however you must be 60 to qualify. I called on Wed before I was going over just to see and was disappointed that I was too young. Since I had donations I went anyway and also went in and looked around.

I do feel their prices are high but found my daughter a pr of great just like new shorts and a matching top for $6 total....Justice brand which I'd never buy new...too expensive. Anyway, if you are wanting to get a Sr discount at Goodwill, I'd suggest calling them to see what day, and how old you must be. If you don't qualify then perhaps take someone with you who does!

Anonymous

Oh, msburny, I love your story!

The Goodwill stores where I live have a web site where they publish a monthly calendar listing all the sales. Most days some category of merchandise is on sale, sometimes with pieces as cheap as one dollar. For people over 50, every Sunday is half-price day. The calendar is also available at the cash registers in the store.