Thrift Store Shopping Tips

Category Shopping
Many shoppers find exceptional bargains at their local thrift stores. This is a guide about thrift store shopping tips.

I was just reading the comments on the "Saving Money On Jeans" post, and I agree with the poster who said that Goodwill is getting "expensive"! There was a bigger, nicer Goodwill building built here in my city a few years ago, but on recent trips there, I've noticed that the prices are rather high (at least for a thrift store, in my opinion). My best friend used to work for them, and said that they often get brand new merchandise donated to them from Target and other stores. However, there are at least two other different thrift stores here in my city, and I know that at least one of them also gets donations from Target, and they have much lower prices.

Once I bought a Target item from Goodwill, only to find it about $1.25 cheaper at Salvation Army! So my tip is to check out all the thrift stores in your area and compare prices. You might find some of the same items there, and get them cheaper than you would at Goodwill. I do still shop at Goodwill, but after I've looked at the other thrift stores first!

By Lisa from Kenosha, WI

Top Comment

Remember the Goodwill help others.

Goodwill may be expensive, but they literally saved my ex-father-in-law's life when he was living on the streets about 30 years ago. Eventually he worked his way to becoming one of the higher-up's & started helping others (it's a very long story). So I just wanted to remind you, that when you shop at Goodwill, you are helping lots of people get back on their feet. Goodwill also helps the handicapped, both the physically handicapped and those with mental handicapped that can't get other jobs.

Goodwill and the Salvation Army are a wonderful organizations & are having a very hard time this year because people that usually donate money don't have jobs & may need help themselves. Don't get me wrong, I always shop where the prices are cheap, but it does take a little bit of the sting out of the higher prices when you remember that you are helping others with the extra money you spend!

Another tip, look for other Thrift Stores that are run by volunteers working to help organizations like this. In Seattle we have a wonderful thrift shop that's totally run by volunteers that helps kids without money or insurance at the Children's Hospital Thrift Store. You can even get a tax credit if you donate to them. We also have several thrift stores run by local churches and one ran by the American Cancer Society. It's always nice to know you are helping others with your donations and your purchases.

Top Comment

As a former Goodwill Production Manager I completely agree with you Lisa. Goodwill knows that people will keep shopping their stores so they will keep raising the prices. It has gotten out of control and outrageous over the past few years. They know it!

I now shop at the local Habitat Store for a mere 10¢ on the exact same item at GW for $2.00. To me, it is worth the extra mile of gas to get the much better deals.

Top Comment

I've discovered the St Vincent de Paul thrift store in our town to have excellent merchandise at great prices. In spite of the good I know Goodwill does (I'm a former client after a car wreck going on 7 years ago,) I've found their prices consistently too high.

Top Comment

I used to donate to Goodwill on a regular basis - every time I cleaned out my closet or house. Last time, as I was pulling away from the behind the store drop off, I observed one of the employees throwing my NEW pair of woman's boots into the dumpster. I now take my donations to Salvation Army and shop there and church thrift shops avoiding Goodwill if at all possible. I have talked to the men from Salvation Army and they showed me how, when they have an abundance of clothes, they bundle extra items and ship to 3rd world countries to help them. Nothing is wasted. And, they keep their prices lower so others can afford to dress warmly and neatly.

Top Comment

I have found that Goodwill & Salvation Army are entirely different even in the same city. Local managers have a lot of room to make changes and they usually do as they please as long as money is coming in. Gainesville, FL has a "new" Goodwill that looks like a dump all the time. Their Salvation Army is a true dump. Prices are still not cheap.

Ocala, FL has a beautiful Salvation Army that sells great items but prices have recently gone up also. Goodwill here is known as the "Goodwill Boutique" because of the high prices. Another Goodwill sells everything by the pound so sometimes you can find a good buy but it takes a lot of time sorting through as lots of stuff is just thrown in "tubs".

Bargains are usually found at church or true charitable thrift stores and some yard sales. It is also very difficult to find truly disabled workers at the Goodwill stores.

Top Comment

I have been volunteering at a church thrift store for the last year .And for the last 6 months now, they have free stuff Mondays, (clothing,books household and more). And have given things for a lot of causes. Very nice and clean place and very low prices, 80% of all clothing is always .50 each. A real old fashion thrift, on the north side or racine, (revival thrift store).

Communicating with Goodwill offices, I learned they are changing their marketing strategies due to the availability of new goods coming off shelves of failing/going out-of-business/bankrupt stores. I have found a plethora of NEW in-the-box with-the-manual items at tremendously low prices.

I find NEW items: A Bodum cordless teakettle ($79) for $6, a pair of Stuart Weismann pumps ($400) for $3.99, a pair of Hush Puppies ($90) for $2.99, a Nordstrom leather vest ($189) for $2.99, a small (this was used) china cabinet ($2500) for $100, a kichen butcher block/island ($259) for $49, a vintage beveled mirror ($800) for $15.

The mirror was too large, a leaner, and I sent it to a consignment shop who sold it for $300.

I find Ralph Lauren, Liz Clayborne, Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, JC Penny, Target, Jones of NY, many, many famous top-of-the-line retailers at Goodwill. Just shop carefully.

Goodwill needs cash. YOU need their stuff. Help them by recycling so they can continue their mission of helping the less fortunate and saving yourself money. If I tire of an item, I donate it back to Goodwill. After all, I did not pay the true value and price for the item and some good comes of it once again when they resell it.

RECYCLE, FOLKS! It is a good thing for planet Earth and you.

By Avis from Boulder, CO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I have found treasures behind or under the glass at our local thrift stores. That is where they keep the items (sometimes with those names you may love but never would pay for) like bags, jeans, leather jackets, etc. I have found zippers can be a problem, usually these items are priced way too high in my opinion because of the name, not the condition they are in.

If you find a great deal, look inside really well to examine the lining, look outside for any stains that have been ruined by someone trying to remove something, leaving the item not worth paying for just a name. That's where you get to point it out and bargain.

If they are willing (not all are) to lower the price, knowing how to bring the item back to its almost new condition for pennies of what it cost, for me is exciting. I don't resell items but many do. So be careful these are some of what is on eBay. Always ask, if you are one who buys used leather, expensive jeans, hand bags, etc. online, if it has been restored.

My friend had been looking for a Levi jacket for so long, but was unable (or unwilling) to pay store cost. On one of our trips, there was a perfect condition jean jacket in her size for $12.00. This isn't what I usually look for or does she, but once in awhile, we all have that special something we are hoping for.

Leather jackets, if they haven't been worn in awhile, have a couple things to look for; make sure the zipper slides easily, it isn't off track anywhere, and look at the leather. Check the lining - I have found it has been taken out; which means sometimes it had been worn hard, or could be there just was a rip or stain so it has been removed. If you sew, this may be an easy fix, if inexpensive, to get done. I have only redone the "vest" part of a leather jacket which was easy, not expensive for that style of jacket, and worked fine. Look at the cuffs - if it hasn't been taken care of, that is one place you can really see tatter. If the jacket has room to shorten the sleeves, is quality may still be worth the investment. Elbows on the sleeves and the collar is where I also look for the hidden wear, not just a stain popping out or a tear that is in plain sight. I take very good care of my leather, therefore I have a motorcycle jacket still in style that is a couple decades old. Where I live, I have found usually not the case, some donate great quality leather jackets with names I could never think about buying so its worth looking. Sometimes anyone can get lucky.

For hand bags, it's the same thing really. Look at them. Just because they are under lock and key doesn't always mean it's a treasure. It is always the name, that's why they keep them locked up. If it's in good condition on the bottom of the bag and the lining is intact, check out the straps to see if they look worn (I don't mean not new, but really used). Make sure you look where your hand bag get worn out the most. I have found it's usually the same 2 or 3 places.

Always check zippers on both leather jackets, skirts, jeans, and handbags. Make sure they are in working order, on track or if it's something easy like just sticking you know what you are dealing with so you can maybe get a deal, or at the very least, not over pay if they over-looked something. If you don't know how to fix or replace a zipper yourself, my alteration place has good prices, however sometime if you have to replace a zipper, it may well not be worth your find. If it's just sticking or jammed you usually can tell right away. Always make sure it's on track (the bottom isn't ruined). Zippers being stuck easily can be fixed with DW40; it works for me every time. That is what I would recommend, if its only a zipper that is sticking and it's something you want and worth the money.

If the leather itself has a spot on it, it could save you money by pointing it out and be something you can fix. I have a great pair of boots that I tripped in the first time I wore them and tore the leather, making the toes look black, not the brown boots I had bought. Any craft store sells paint that is water proof, used for leather. Even if its an "off" color like mine was, I mixed 2 of the paints together and to this day only my son and I know it ever happened. So if there is a place on a bag, jacket, or pair of boots some of it can be redone for around $5.00 making it well worth it. When I say redone I don't mean the entire bag or jacket, I mean worn spots on the elbows, or spots of wear on a bag can be easily matched with this paint and made to look new again.

For example my own bag, which I love, is a mustard color. Where I keep my hand sanitizer there is a worn spot, but the rest of the bag is still in perfect shape - matching that and fixing it myself is what I will do, not get rid of my Tignanello. I promise it was a gift I will have for years to come.

Leather can be cleaned up and reconditioned in a few ways without costing you a bunch of money; talcum powder removes grease from leather, so just because there is a spot of oil or grease may not mean it's not worth seeing if they will give you a deal, or if it is a great deal may be worth a second look. Remember you can buy leather cleaners, water proof products, or if like me, use olive oil for cleaning and keeping my leather in soft, subtle shape costing hardly nothing. I have heard coconut oil works well. It comes in a jar and is very hard making it easy to put on a cloth and rub into the material. Also remember if it's brown, black, rust, or a color easily matched and has a small spot or maybe creases from prior use, shoe polish will soak into the spot, making it appear the same color. When using shoe polish on anything other than shoes, make sure you polish a couple of times, using a small amount each time and always getting any left over polish off. If you don't, it will come of on something you don't want it to; like your shirt, coat, etc. The liquid shoe stains do not do this. If using one of them make sure you have matched up the leather before applying. These things can also make an item you have look new again.

Jeans, another thing found behind the counter or in the glass case, are always based on name brand. $25.00 for a pair of brand name jeans may be something many are interested in, but look out for knock offs. The people working at Salvation Army or Goodwill especially, will not know how to recognize fakes. The small independent thrift stores or consignment stores know more of what they have, and its worth. I know polo type shirts that have a little symbol on the right side, aren't always a real polo (Ralph Lauren), or another brand, but they have copied the "tag" or taken it from another item. If you don't look close, you wouldn't catch it until too late. Not everyone cares about labels, but if you are paying for it, you should get what you pay for - new or used.

They keep sun glasses and jewelry there locked away also, these are so easy for people who steal to take. It doesn't always mean they are anything expensive to begin with. I have found the neatest jewelry behind the glass in bundles sometimes and on a half price day. Keep in mind these things are already marked down like everything else in the store.

Cameras, CD players, and watches are just a few of the other things that seem to be out of reach. If you ask they will gladly open the case. Make sure it's working (if it needs electricity or battery) - it's usually a good idea to carry some batteries with you if you are looking for any items that take them. That way you know its in good working order. I got a beautiful, expensive watch for $10.00 from my church thrift store and they said if you take it and get a battery, if it doesn't work, bring it back. Not everywhere would do that, so ask to be sure. For the cost of a watch battery, I have a watch I could never afford, wouldn't even have thought I could own one.

Sometimes these locked away treasures are worth asking, maybe bargaining, putting in a little time. Other times it's better to know when it's not a treasure at all; just locked away. Items found behind the glass can make the best gifts. Although they may not be your usual purchases, don't be afraid to look. I wrote in one of my posts where I had gotten a blow dryer that was worth well over $100.00, but I knew what I was looking at. Like I said, "some people make a living doing this" - most of us do not, so knowing a little bit about what you may be bargaining down could pay off. I always look at what is in style, what is in the magazines, and when I see name brands it helps knowing a little bit about what you may be "hoping" to find. Always try to look on the days they have 50% off or any other special your local thrift store has.

Finding a bargain is so much fun. Once in a while, it is like finding hidden treasure! I keep up on magazines and look at what the price "new" is to see if it is really a deal when buying anything that isn't obviously my usual thrift purchases. Good luck with your treasure hunting!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

If anyone needs a reminder, though, please remember some thrift stores are done really well: having nice clothing and blankets, as well as

Every year Goodwill has a membership drive -I think it's in April. They sell memberships for $5. You will get 1/2 off anything you buy that day ,and they mail you 12 coupons good for each month of the year for $5 off any $10 or more purchase.

I grew up in a family of 4 children, a stay-at-home mom, and a father who didn't make a lot of money. We had everything we needed but I did wear a lot of boys PJs inherited from my older brother and cousins.

Think you can only get clothes and household items at thrift shops? There is often a lot of electronic and computer gear there, too. When our computer keyboard fritzed out last week, my hubby went out to the thrift shop and bought a new keyboard for about $5.00!

I frequently shop at Goodwill for clothing, household items, etc. I found that for only $5 I can get a mailing of monthly coupons for $5 off if you spend $10.

Go to the best town (most expensive real estate) and comb the thrift shops. Rich people throw things out too and sometimes new or near new. The quality may be better and you still pay thrift store prices. By JANET

There are definitely bargains to be found at your local thrift store. If you know how to look, you may come upon a lovely piece of silver hiding under that tarnish. This is a guide about finding silver at thrift shops.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Our local consignment shops have been doing stuff-a-sack (Walmart sack) for $3. I have been hitting them for the past 3 months and have gotten some great stuff.

Thrift store shopping can be a fun and very successful way to shop for clothing and many other items. This is a guide about 7 tips for making thrift shopping a breeze.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Shop in January for fantastic deals. People unload new, unwanted Christmas gifts, and older models of items they have upgraded. Also, people take advantage of the charitable contribution tax donation by donating by December 31.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I got a nice black leather bag for $1 at a thrift shop. You can tell leather from vinyl by the smell. Leather wears so much better.

Many times they have a super sale like a bag of clothes for $5. I've bought new hooded sweatshirts for my granddaughter with 6 fitting in a bag. Recently, they had women's clothing for $.50 each.

I realize that I do most of my shopping nowadays in various thrift shops. It's gotten to the point I get sticker shock when I go into a REAL store!

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for little gift items - there are so many occasions to give little gifts - besides birthdays, there are get well gifts and so on.

If you frequent thrift stores, ask when new shipments generally arrive and find out how long it typically takes for the store staff to get the merchandise out on the floor for sale. This info will allow you to avoid searching through the same items over again without waiting so long that the "good stuff" is picked over. By Leann D

I shop at Goodwill regularly. I have problems removing the price off of non-clothing items like dishes, etc. The price is written in black directly on the item. I have tried soap, bleach, etc. and nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

By Vera from Little River, SC

Answers

As a former employee I can say the best thing to use is regular hairspray. It may take a couple of applications, work in a circular motion.
I used to get so annoyed at the way things were marked. Tried my best to change it but they wouldn't budge. My thoughts were it ruins an item where it is placed, no one seemed to care. Just move the merchandise. My local store has even over priced it's way from being a thrift store. Is a shame the company has seemed to forget it's founding fathers and why it was created.
Good luck!

Tips for getting the most out of thrift store shopping. Post your ideas.

Answers

I go to the Goodwill on one-half off days (holidays or first Saturday of the month), as it makes my dollars go farther. I pick up things for my five grandchildren and others I know that are living on a minimum wage income. This way we all win--Goodwill, my family, friends, the people who donate to Goodwill, and myself, as I am helping others.

By Rosanna Stefano

Does anyone know how to get the ink mark off of the bottom of tennis shoes bought at goodwill?

You may want to try the orange cleaner you can pick up at a dollar store. I have used it on a lot of things and it has successfully removed them!

Good Luck!

You could try hairspray on the bottom of the tennis shoe. Or perfume or rubbing alcohol.

Shop at thrift stores regularly - you can't just walk in and find what you want like you can in a retail store so you need to look often. Also have a list of your needs. Its not very thrifty to buy whatever you see that you fancy if you don't really need it so keep a list in your purse, (e.g. appliances, gaps in your wardrobe, furniture), and then you will know if you actually need the item you are considering, or just want it!

Regards

Jo

I shop at Good Will, Salvation Army,and Volunteers of America. When I buy something I always say keep the change or add a couple dollars to it.
Lets face it they are doing me more a favor then say A chain store does.
I have been where those workers are.

No. I buy only what I need and I usually donate to them stuff I no longer use several times a year.

You can't beat those thrift shops for books. Puzzles,furniture and Nic-Nacs,
I'm sorry I can't wear the clothes I am just too tall.
I guess not many tall people donate.

One thing Salvation Army And Volunteers Of America do.
They have sales every day on diffeant stuff.
One dat It Furniture another day Books.
They usually have the days of sales on the wall inside the door.

And the clothes have different colored tickets that tell you how much you get off listed prices.

Happy Thrifty Shopping
Mr. Thrifty

Get your kids interested in Thrift shopping, and garage sales early in their lives. Our family considers it an adventure, and a lesson on stretching a dollar. We have found very cute clothes for my kids at a fraction of what they go for new. My ten year old daughter gets compliments on her outfits. Little does anyone know she may have gotten the pants for a dollar, and top for a quarter.

A tape measure is useful to have along. Not all items are marked with the dimensions , such as curtains or picture frames.

If you want to spoil yourself, go to Goodwill and look for the good names, I get LLBean, Ralph Lauren, Gap stuff with tags still on for almost nothing!

Goodwill has great variety of clothes so it's like your at many stores but one-stop shopping!

By Amy Farwell

I keep a small card with the kids sizes on it including shoes and accessories also my husbands sizes then when I see something that they might want then I dont have to guess at the size.

If you are a seamstress you can sometimes find items you can use the material for other projects. Great Halloween costumes from out of date styles Our local salvation army auctions antique items off.It goes to the highest bidder.I have gotten several good collectable items this way. The best deal was some old car magazines date back to 1957 .My husband loved them he loves the old cars50's and 60's

I recently went to the local Goodwill and noted that all of last season's clothes were on sale. Thrift stores tend to do this at the same time that regular stores are changing over their clothing merchandise for the upcoming season, so don't hesitate to check out the thrift store first. You can easily get a very nice shirt or pair of pants for about 2.00 on sale at the thrift store. College areas or areas with a young demographic tend to yield the best secondhand merchandise.

By Jackie Reitnauer

I have 2 sons who have learned to like Goodwill. To cycle clothes out, our local Goodwill has some clothes for 1/2 price on Saturdays and on Mondays certain clothes are a quarter. My 16 year old son has learned that he can get great Hilfiger, Gap and American Eagle clothes for a quarter. He bought a new Nike winter coat for $4.00 last fall.

My 10 year old has learned the same however he looks for Nike and Adidas stuff.

Last Christmas, I shopped every Monday night and purchased men's dress shirts for a quarter. I then took them home and made them in to placemats for gifts. This was a great gift as it was inexpensive for me but homemade for the recipient.

These are great deals for me and we all have fun looking through all the racks of clothing.

When shopping thrift stores, you may find something or you may not. Visit often as their inventory changes daily.

Happy shopping
Leslie

With a lot of people using thrift stores, how "safe" are the donations? Can you "catch" anything from what you buy?

Kathy from Coatesville, PA

Shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army Shops. I recently bought a $200.00 coat for 6 bucks! Great savings for clothes, toys, books, purses. If you have growing kids, start there for your shopping. It's cheaper and when the kids grow out of them, donate them back and take if off your taxes.

By DEBRADJ from ILLINOIS

Editor's Note: What are your best thrift store finds? Post them below.

Answers:

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

I started shopping thrift stores out of necessity when my 3 children were small. As time went on I continued to shop Good Will, Miracle Hill, Salvation Army, etc because of the bargains I found on name brand items. My best bargain is probably my microwave. The microwave I'd used for 22 years bit the dust so I went to Walmart and bought a new one. Needless to say things aren't made the same as they were 20 years ago and I was not pleased with the look of the new microwave when I put it where the old one had been. I took it back and found a larger microwave at Goodwill the following day. I was excited to get a microwave for $15, but then when they rang me up I found out it was half price because of the tag color! My daughter-in-law couldn't believe I bought a microwave for $7.50. On that same trip I got my grandson a Little Tikes slide for $5.00. The look on his 18 month old face when he saw it was worth 100 times what I paid for it! (02/22/2008)

By Donna B

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

My greatest finds are 100% wool things to incorporate in my rug hooking. I have found many things, a Mills Brothers suede jacket and matching skirt for $15. Plus, tops and pants. Plus, at Frenchy's, I have found many tartan skirts for hooking. Besides what, it helps keeps this stuff from going to the landfill. (02/22/2008)

By

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

Wow, where to begin! I have shopped at my local thrift store, as well as others I stumble upon, for at least 20 years now. My best buys are the things I find which are name brand and like new that I would love to buy new but cannot afford. This fall I got fur-lined leather coat with a label from a popular leatherwear store chain for $20, and it was worth an estimated $300. I also got a long down coat from a famous outdoor company for $20 that sold for about $80 this past season. I have also gotten new, never worn designer label shoes for as little as $5, even a pair of new (insert popular sheepskin boot company name here) for $9!!! Thrift stores are also a good place to find those odd things you have been looking for for years, and also a good place for me to get quality yarn, often enough to make an entire project. I also agree that buying kids clothes there is a winner, I have bought baby clothes there as a baby gift; if it is a gift and not me just helping someone out, I will only purchase goods that are new with tags. I always buy a bottle of Dreft and wash any baby gifts (no fabric softener) no matter where I get them from and give the mom the rest of the Dreft along with the clothes. That much easier for the mom. (02/22/2008)

By purrplekat

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

I went to Walmart yesterday to see if I could buy some pretty fabric at $1.00 per yard, but no such thing. I looked at several bolts of fabric at $1.00 per yard, but they weren't eye catching. So today I went to the Salvation Army Store and purchased 2 men's shirts at 50% off, it was their yellow tag discount sale. What I'm going to do with the shirts is to cut them up and make hot mitts and flat potholders. (02/23/2008)

By MCW

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

For some reason the best bargains seem to be books (I created a good library from rejected classics) and skirts (in larger sizes too). The worst appear to be bras, which are usually stretched out by the time they get to the store.
I did once get a perfectly good salad spinner at a thrift store in another state. And I notice there aren't as many book bargains any more, probably because people read so much less, and what they read is the latest trash, not classics. (02/23/2008)

By peseta

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

I love going to thrift stores, I have found so much and saved so much. I buy those level reader books for my 6 year old son, which cost anywhere from $3-$5 full price, I get them for 39 cents. I get the cutest clothes for my 2 year old daughter, Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, The Children's Place, for just a few dollars each or even 99 cents sometimes!
My favorite pair of jeans came from the thrift store and their shoes are great price too! I go like every 2 weeks. Can you tell I love the thrift store?

(02/25/2008)

By Daphne

Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

Don't get me started! I am involved with Sr. America, an organization which has a pageant for women 60 and better. I work backstage at the VA and the National pageant and need glitzy evening clothes for the many events that occur at these pageants. Thrift stores are quite often a treasure trove for this type of clothing. I have bought a gorgeous beaded and sequined dress for $35 and a glitzy jacket to dress up an every day little black dress for as little as $5.

My favorite shopping experiences are at a place called 'The Thrift Shop' in Arlington, VA (which benefits a number of charities) and a shop at an Episcopal church on Sanibel Island in FL called Noah's Ark for beachy type and designer clothes. I often go on sr. trips and always look to see if there is a thrift or consignment shop at my destination. I live in NJ but have visited shops in Va, W.VA, Kentucky, Nevada, FL and of course, NJ.

It's the thrill of the chase for me! You can get beautiful, gently worn clothing if you shop diligently and if you befriend the volunteers they will let you know when the sales will be.(02/28/2008)

By GraNita