Thrift Stores Are Not Created Equal

A rack of clothing at a thrift store.I love thrift stores. My mom took my 5 sisters and me to the same store every time we went to the beach. That store is still there and I still shop there. Almost any thrift store has something I need. But they're not equal.

Years ago, when shows about thrift shopping became popular, things began to change. Prices went up because they started doing more research on their donated items, so they made more because you paid more. All fair of course. The key is that nobody knows everything about everything.

So each store has things that are ridiculously high and ridiculously low. Your job is to notice how the pricing is done. Some stores do their own pricing and some have things priced at a central location and a truck brings the merchandise.

If the pricing is done in house, you'll soon get a feel for who is doing the numbers on a given day. There are usually several people in various departments doing prices. Make friends with these people! Not for a break in the price but because they might tell you about something you've been looking for. I've missed treasure by minutes because I was wandering about.

Many stores have a discount color each week and others have pop up sales which are an added bonus. The best day of the week to shop is usually Friday.

I hope these tips are helpful. Enjoy the hunt!

This article is chucked full of information. That you!

Thank you for these tips, they are great!

Such good information. Thanks!

Helpful tips. Thank you!

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 122 Feedbacks

I disagree with the best day to shop being Friday. I believe it is Monday. Our local thrift store has the shelves stocked with new items on Mondays.

They also reduce the oldest clothing to $.25, and the clothing that will be $.25 next week is 50% off this week.

Anonymous

Thank you for this added info--I hav found great things n my thrift stores that I shop!

Wow! Is this somewhere in Southern California where I live? I want to go!

Kathi

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 679 Feedbacks

All good, helpful tips! Even the "best" day of the week to shop appears to vary by store!

Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersJune 25, 2019
🎉
Generated 2021-12-30 14:28:25 in 927 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thrift-Stores-Are-Not-Created-Equal.html