Buying Evening Wear at a Thrift Store

Category Shopping
When you need some clothes to dress up, you can save lots of money and look great too, when you shop at a second hand store. This is a guide about buying evening wear at a thrift store.

Whenever I shop, be it retail or thrift, I always have my eyes open for a great deal on formal wear. If you wait until you get an invitation, you have limited time to shop and will likely spend top-dollar.

This past summer the local church thrift shop had a half-price sale. Dresses are usually $5, so the lovely brown dress I bought was only $2.50. It even had the dry-cleaner's bag on it. I had no place to wear it, but it fit so well and the price was so low that I bought it anyway. I already had a gold bag purchased for next to nothing, but needed gold shoes. A few weeks later, a thrift store chain opened up a branch near me. If you downloaded their app, you got a $10 credit. I went on a half-price day, and found a brand new pair of gold shoes for $19.99. Since it was half-price day, they were marked down to $10, and I used my credit.

My husband's company merged with a new firm. For the first time since he has ever worked, there is going to be a fancy Christmas party at an exclusive country club. I will happily wear my $2.50 outfit, and no one will be the wiser!

Top Comment

The party was so much fun! Here are some pictures of the entire outfit.

It's only important if it shows. I just wore a heavily beaded dress to a gala. Now, I had gotten it from a local thrift shop. It was a steal; but I did have to trim off the extra threads and hanging beads. (I know know what they mean by dripping with beads. . .) But because of the pattern of the fabric and the beading, It didn't show and no one was the wiser.

As far as anyone knew, it had always been that way. So check to see if you can somehow repair that thrift shop beaded finery. But, beware! Sometimes if it's finely beaded and lacking beads, it may not be worth the trouble.