Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

Does anyone know where to get a free dog sweater?

By Kay from Vermilion, OH

You can make a coat for your dog using fleece, an old blanket or an old coat of your own. There is a pattern for a quick coat at this site:

www.saunalahti.fi/glottis/quickcoat.htm

Some old friends of ours always had a family dog. During the warmer weather she used to pull a child's tee shirt over the dog's head and used the armholes for his front legs.

Take the measurement of your dog's torso starting with his front legs along the length of his back. Take these measurements with you to a Goodwill or Salvation Army store and buy him a child's sweater. Once you have the sweater, you might want to shorten the length of the sleeves and hem the bottoms for his front legs. Pull his head through the top of the sweater and see how much it covers his back and stomach. That's the reason for measuring his torso. What you could do is sew a casing at the bottom of the ribbing and insert some light weight elastic to hold the sweater snug against his body. This will keep any cold air from coming in.

Your dog will love you for it!

What size is your dog? I have a bunch of girly dog sweaters, maybe I can send some your way....

Go to the Goodwill (not free but cheap) buy a large wool sweater, shrink it up and waalaa, dog sweater!

Do you know it is much cheaper to buy infant or children's shirts to put on your dog/puppy and work just great.

December 28, 2009 Flag

I have a chihuahua and she gets very cold in the winter, but poor little Bella's sweater ripped and I can't afford to buy her a new one. It's already getting quite windy and she's getting the shivers. Does anyone know where I could get a free doggy sweater shipped to me? I can't go pick it up because I don't have a car. If you have any information please let me know. Thank you.

Emily from Fort Worth, TX

Answers:

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

I don't know about a free dog sweater, but if you're handy and can make one. Here's a website for crocheted items for your pet.

crochetpatterncentral.com (10/01/2007)

By MCW

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

Some friends of ours had a small dog and they used to put a small child's tee on their pet to keep him warm.

You could probably do the same thing with a small child's sweater. Slip the dog's head into the neck hole and put his two front legs in through the armholes. Now you have an instant dog sweater without having to spend a lot of money. You could even sew some light elastic around the bottom so it would stay snug against his body. It would be the type of elastic that you would use on underwear or for sewing doll clothes.

Marge from NY (10/01/2007)

By MCW

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

If you have a worn out long sleeved sweat shirt, cut one sleeve off. Slip the wrist over her head, and mark where you need to cut holes for her front feet.
Take the sleeve back off her, and cut the holes. Trim the length to what you want it to be.

No hemming is necessary, fleece won't unravel. (10/01/2007)

By cjgeo

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

I agree with cjgeo, an old sweat shirt makes a great doggy sweater. Just start looking in your local thrift stores and hit up yard sales as well. As a matter of fact, you may also be able to find a genuine dog sweater at one of these places as well and your dog won't care if their sweater isn't the latest style. (10/02/2007)

By azDana

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

I used an old knee sock or tall one cutting out holes for the neck and front legs. I cut an oval half circle for the underneath so he could go pee. Just another idea. Different colors and gives you something to do with odd socks. (10/02/2007)

By Crystal

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

Go to freecycle.org then to your state and area sign up. Then you can list a want ad for the size you need, you can even give away the things you no longer want just in case someone else can use it. This site is really great help if you have to pinch pennies. It is amazing what people don't want, but what others can use. Good luck. (10/03/2007)

By Debbie

Where To Get a Free Dog Sweater

Go to a thrift store for children and go to baby section. A sweater for a baby I think would work (10/03/2007)

By sandy63

dog in large sweater
Inexpensive Dog Sweaters
Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 28, 2009
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Cardigan made from altering a sweater.
Make a Cardigan From a Sweater
Purse from an Old Sweater
Making a Sweater Purse or Bag
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
🎉
🎄