How To Tell if An Egg Is Fresh

Now that we are back to the two of us and watching our cholesterol, a dozen eggs lasts us a very long time. Being frugal, I hate to throw anything out once it's reached its expiration date, but I don't want to use anything that might be dangerous to eat. Someone shared this rule-of-thumb with me, and I've used it successfully for years. Place a raw egg in a bowl of cold water and wait a moment. Fresh eggs will stay on the bottom of the bowl. If it's too old, it will float. "If it floats, throw it out!" (You may need a bit of a Canadian accent to make it rhyme).

By sandykaye from Hagerstown, MD

Ummm... that doesn't rhyme with a Canadian accent. The tip is a good one though!

I will add one or two thoughts you might want to consider. First, if the large end of the egg tips up, but the smaller end stays pointed down, the egg is still usable. It just needs to be used soon, and I normally boil them at that point. Second, you can always crack 3 or 4 eggs, or even more and only use the yolk from one. When you stir them up, you can enjoy scrambled eggs, without the guilt of too much egg yolk. If you enjoy sweet peppers, even onions, a bit of each can be sauteed first, adding the egg just in time to cook and enjoy all together. That way you use it all and no waste is always better than throwing food away. (That comes from being connected with church "food pantries"), and knowing just how little some people have.

When u say to put the egg in the water, is it in the shell or out of the shell? I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I could still separate the egg from the water if it was out of the shell. I feel really stupid right now, cause it sounds like it ought to b apparent.

The best trick I found out right here at Thrifty Fun is to buy the most eggs at the best price you can find. Then freeze what you won't need for awhile. The frozen eggs, when thawed, whip up beautifully and have a wonderful fresh flavor if frozen right away. They can be frozen whole or divided whites and yolks.

Hi ct!

Leave the egg in the shell. And don't feel stupid, I should have been more specific :o)

Okay, do you freeze the egg in the shell or out of the shell?

Keeping Eggs Fresh
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsMay 20, 2010
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
Egg being tapped with a hammer.
Egg Jokes
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Egg Salad
Making Egg Salad