Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipe for a Small One Layer Cake

I am looking for a one layer cake recipe. There are just two of us now. We can't get through a 9x13 inch cake before it gets stale.

By Judy

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Litter Gitter [91]05/15/2010

Southern Saver, I tried your recipe for Dinette Cake, using my gluten free flour mixture. It turned out great and is delicious.

By Donna Anderson [1]04/28/2010

As many of you do, I use just a 1/2 box cake mix, but I use my old Tiara pan..when you bake the cake and turn it up-side-down it has a well in the middle to fill with all kinds of yummy things. I just made one and filled with sugar free Choc. Instant pudding and served with cool whip. Yummy! You can mix vanilla instant pudding with cream cheese and put it in the well then add grated pineapple, cool whip. shredded coconut and top with chopped walnuts, in that order. Hawaiian style "great for company and impressive".

By Judi [17]04/28/2010

I don't have a recipe for a 1 layer but what I do is make a regular cake and freeze half. Since there are now just 2 of us our cakes have grown furr before we could get them eaten! Freezing half solved that problem.

By Sarah Leach [8]04/28/2010

I'd recommend using Jiffy Mix cake mixes. They make an 8"x8" cake (or an 8" round) and they make frosting mixes too.
very nice for one or two people. OR you could make the 9"x13" and wrap the pieces and freeze them. Then just take a couple out when you want them and let them thaw while you make supper. They'll be right and ready after supper.

By Dorothy [40]04/25/2010

If you bake a small cake you waste electricity or gas and space in the oven.If you baking a one layer cake occupy the space by baking an apple pie or any sweet treats,not savory because the flavors will come in contact with one another.Some cakes freeze well.Slice and freeze in airtight containers or ziplock bags and place in containers so that they don't crumble.

By Litter Gitter [91]04/24/2010

Yellow Cake..makes two layers.
To make a small one layer cake use half of recipe.

Mix together with mixer:
8 tablespoons Crisco shortening
2 eggs

Add:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat well

Alternate and mix together with other ingredients:
2 cups sifted self rising flour
1 cup milk
Beat well

Pour into cake pans that have been sprayed with Pam and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

By Ann Winberg [282]04/24/2010

If you watch your store sales the Jiffy brand cake mixes are on sale quite often, they are good, cheap to start with and small.

I also make a 9x13 cake mix, divide the batter and flavor the two halves different. Maybe make cupcakes from one half. Put one half of your mix in an 8x8 pan, pour pie filling over the top, bake and the cake will bake up around the fruit.

By Jean [2]04/24/2010

This is the recipe I use when I want a small cake.
It makes one layer. You could add chocolate, spices, or fruit to change the flavor.
It's very simple to make.

Dinette Cake

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 deg. Blend all ingredients &frac; minute on low speed. Beat 3 minutes on high speed. Bake in greased and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pan for 35 to 40 minutes.

Jean

By Litter Gitter [91]04/23/2010

It's just the two of us also so when I bake a cake, I slice it and wrap each piece in seram wrap and put them in a zip lock bag and freeze. I try to limit our sweets so when we can have dessert, I take out a couple of slices at the time.

By jean leiner [12]04/23/2010

You can make half a cake mix and put the rest of the mix in the freezer for later use. For a Pillsbury Supreme cake Mix for example, I use 1/2 cup water, 1 large egg, and 1/4 cup oil or apple sauce, and bake in an 8x8 or small loaf pan.

By PENNY K [15]04/23/2010

Older cookbooks often have one layer cakes from the depression era; a treat for people when there wasn't enough for a large one, or also WW2 cake recipes when eggs and butter were rationed.

There is also the option of Jiffy mixes; they have little one layer cake mixes. I used to fix those when it was just me and my two kids and we were poor.Now I just can't eat as much.

By Lisa [2]04/23/2010

I don't know if this will help you, but my mom wraps baked goods (including cakes) in plastic wrap (and foil?), places them in a freezer bag, and then freezes them for later. She'll wrap individual portions. So, even if you don't find any scaled down recipes, perhaps you can still bake your 9 X 13 pan and save some for later.