Peek-a-Boo Dolls?

I'm trying to find out what the dolls are called that are homemade and are about the size when finished as a 2 year old toddler standing up. But the main idea of the Boy or Girl Doll is for their faces to be hidden while they are bent over hiding there face against their arms. I have seen these on front porches, mostly outside dolls.

They usually have overalls on and you only see there body, arms, back of head and neck wearing hats the majority of the time. I guess they are stuffed in some way. I would like to know what they Are called? How they are made? I thought they might be called Peek-a-Boo Dolls but not sure. They look like they are playing hide and seek and counting. And if anyone has a picture to share that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Julie

I've seen them called "Naughty Dolls" before and here is a link I found for them...

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/craft/01/160.asp

hope this is what you are looking for!

The ones I've seen for sale at Christmas fairs were called "TIME OUT DOLLS"... as in they are standing in the corner for a "time out" because they were "bad" little dolls...

I have one but it's a puppy dressed up, the ears and arms are the tube socks and the head I think. I made one bought this stretch stuff for the body that was a tube.

I have seen these many times at classic/antique car shows.People display them leaning up against their classic cars. I believe they were called Time Out Dolls. They are adorable, and wear actual toddler size cloting and shoes!

I've heard them called Pouty Dolls.

Pouting Dolls. You might find instructions if you google for it.

Hi!

I was curious about you request so "googled" some. Here are two posting on another site about how to make the dolls:

"What I do:. I use light colored childrens footed pajamas size two preferably because they are the cutest. I have used one's and three's. Stuff them, get the legs as stiff as you can without being too fat. Play with this step. I don't stuff the body and arms too much because then they don't look too fat. I use a knee high (Wal-Mart .50 cents in plastic container) for the head. Stuff it and then sew it onto the neck of the pj's. Dress the doll in clothes to fit and shoes and socks to fit. I find a lot at garage sales, family out grown clothes and thrift stores. If it is a girl in a dress I put kids nylons in a color of choice. If I use white sometimes I need two pair to cover the color of the pj's. If the pj's are pink they sometimes work with one pair. I buy hair at Wal-Mart. I use the one piece hair and glue it to a hat in the back so it is hanging down looking natural. On the boys and some girls use the caps with bills and put the hair on the bill so the hat is turned backwards on the doll. Tack the hands to the front of the face and spot glue the hat on. You can add things you want. Like I add hay to overalls pockets or a car or worms from the fishing dept, a little stuffed animal or doll in the arms or something."

Second post at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dolls/msg1010304118500.html

"Hi. Stumbled on your forum looking for info for a friend who crochets and saw the post asking for instructions on these dolls. I'm a regular on Garden Junk and one of the lady's there posted easy directions and a cute photo of one of her's that she had out in her garden. Here it is.

Hope it helps.

Karen

this is how i do it....

I take a piece of styrofoam (just a piece that I got when I bought something) ,make it fit the shoes.Then duct tape that to a wooden dowels. I loosely duct tape the dowels at the top too. Then I take a pair of sleepers,put the taped styrofoam inside,then start to stuff with plastic bags.Then I put the sleepers in the shoes and hot glue them.then stuff some more!Keep stuffing the body .Add the clothes.Then when I figure out how to do a head (still haven't got that down pat yet). The last one I found a ball at dollar store and hot glued it all together.Hot glued the sleeper to the ball then the shirt. I hot glued the hair to the hat . Then wrapped one arm around the pet and hot glued the hand to the face. Kind of hard to explain but you have to play with them."

Hope this helps,

Harriet

I too have seen them propped up against antique cars at the shows. I had one that I broke the leg in half on, so my husband and I fashioned her into a ghost for Halloween. Everyone wants me to make them one but I tell them it's my secret how she was made.

I have always heard these called Time-out dolls.

I have Peek A Boo infants!

I have made a few of these dolls. They most commonly referred to as hide and seek dolls. But you can stand them up in a corner and call them time out dolls.

Crafts AdviceAugust 19, 2008
Granville House Doll
Finding the Value of Granville House Dolls
Broken Porcelain Doll
Repairing Broken Porcelain Dolls and Figurines
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
🎄