Cleaning Football Pants With Built-in Pads

By Becky Millmeyer 1

My two sons play football. The team got new pants this year with built in pads. In the past, I have had the best luck getting out the grass and mud by pre-soaking them. With the new pants, the pads float, so the dirtiest parts (the knees) aren't in the water. Any suggestions on how to keep the pants submerged?

Becky from Coralville, IA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Maryann Nilsson 1 Flag

If your boys pants are white pretreat the pants with rug carpet cleaner like Resovle. Then even if the instructioins are not to bleach use one cup bleach, one cup dry dishwahing detergent to one gallon of very hot water and one cup of regular detergent. I usually doubled the recipe. Warning fumes are a bit strong. Let soak overnight or at least for four hours. Then wash as usual regular detergent. I they are colored used the dry detergent and spray and wash and rug cleaner then regular deterent. I have never gone wrong. I had been washing football pants for ten years and my recipe gave them the whitest pants on the fied. It didn't ruin the pads either. It's great for whitening sox as well. I used to get all the family's white sox and did a whole load. I would soak overnight then the next afternoon everyone had the whitest sox in town. Fyi My Mom used this recipe of bleach and dishwashing detergent with hot water way back in the seventies. She use to do the entire teams pants and sox. It does not yellow the pant at all. Since textures have changed over the years. Good Luck Maryann ps. tuck the pads inside the pants or inside some white sox. I know they float but if you put a towel or two in with everything they will be washed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Noella 11 381 Flag

Don't the pads come out of football pants? When I bought them for our son, the pads came out. It was a pain taking them in and out, but at least the pants got clean.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dana 1 123 Flag

If you want to keep the pants submerged, you could put something heavy on top of them while they're soaking. I've got some 'floating' hand washables, and I put a full container of liquid laundry detergent on them. If you don't have that, you could fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water and use that.

Come to think of it, if you wanted to make sure the pants legs got really good and soaked, you could put a smaller soda or juice bottle (also filled with water) down inside the leg of the pants and that should weight them down while they're soaking.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Get some big lead fishing weights, tie string or monofilament through their metal loops, and use clothespins to fasten to the front of the pants. The weights will cause the pants to float front down.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 10, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Scotch Brite Pads
Cleaning Scotch Brite Pads
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
sports ball ornaments
College Football Themed Christmas Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 3:27:26 PM on 10.0.2.171 in 815 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings