Cheering Up a Friend with Cancer

My best friend has advised me that she has breast cancer and has to go for treatments (chemo, etc). Since I live in a different part of the country and due to financial problems, I am not able to go to her. I need ideas to cheer her up.

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

I just finished chemotherapy myself and because I'm a voracious reader the thing I appreciated most was books. One of my friends who lives several states away shared some of her favorite reads with me and that was a real treat. Please don't bombard her with "spam" emails. Because the chemo affected my eyes, I can't stare at the PC screen too long. Although I enjoy getting personal messages via email many people just forward me stuff -- sometimes as many as six a day from the same sender. I know they mean well but I've gotten to the point where if the subject line begins with "FW:" I just delete it without reading.

There are a few wonderful books of poems and stories by breast cancer survivors which are cheerful and will encourage her as she progresses through treatments and recovery. Also bath gifts/lotions to pamper herself will be appreciated at this difficult time. Jill

My husband got cheery and meaningful cards from friends and family ...some weekly! Nice to know they were thinking of us!

I saw the most wonderful framed saying in a magazine, and you could get some help or do it yourself, to recreate on a computer and frame it.

It says "Cancer is so limited, it cannot cripple love, shatter hope, corrode faith, destroy peace, kill friendship, supress memories, silence courage, steal eternal life

and it cannot conquer the spirit".

You could even present it to her in a frame, and keep the original on the computer for making a book mark and a smaller version she can keep in a key chains photo holder. If you have another friend who might need it, you can keep it to share with them. With a little time, you can put in a clip art of their favorite flower, a religious symbol, or something they love.

I hope this helps.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

Occasional notes, phone calls, just to let her know you are thinking of her. I love the series of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books. Chances are they have one dealing with cancer. Never under estimate the power of prayer. Many churches pray for people, or an entire family during their services. Tell her you love her, and are thinking and praying for her each day.

I'm aware most cancer patients feel ill and tired because of the various treatments. Few have the energy to do those daily housekeeping tasks, yet it's miserable looking around at a dirty house. I can't remember the details, but I recall receiving info (via an email forward, of course) that there's a group that arranges free weekly house cleaning for cancer patients. Perhaps you could look up that info... Snopes.com should have the particulars if you type something like "cancer house cleaning" in their search box.

This is the website for the people that clean for those that have cancer.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/

Caring hands
Helping a Friend with Cancer
Health & Beauty AdviceDecember 21, 2009
Breast Cancer Awareness Pin
Breast Cancer Awareness Craft Ideas
Best Friends
Gift Ideas for Your Best Friend
A young woman grieving.
Helping a Grieving Friend or Relative
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
🎉
🎄