Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath

Care needs to be taken when trying to control fleas on a kitten. This is a guide about giving a kitten a flea bath.

August 8, 2016 Flag

This works 100%. Get a small biscuit tin and fill with luke warm water. Place the kitten in and keep the head above water! Get the kitten completely wet and hold the kitten in the water for about 20-30 seconds. The fleas drown. Then just comb them off. It really works. Bathe them every other day. It will also get them used to being bathed when they are older :)

If there is no soap in the water, the water's surface adhesion means the fleas float. This is a direct quote from one of many websites on controlling fleas on cats.

5. Soapy water flea trap

Fleas, well, they arent the brightest things in the world, which is good news for us. They are attracted to light, and find its shining splendor irresistible. To take advantage of this, place a very shallow dish with sudsy water under a night light so when they hop towards the light, they hop into the water and drown. Use hot or warm water, as they seek things out by temperature.

You will need

-A shallow dish (a yogurt lid works well)

-Warm water

-Dish soap

-A night light

Directions

Fill a shallow dish with warm soapy water and place directly under a night light. Check the trap in the morning, empty it, and repeat to help get the fleas under control.

Cats are particularly sensitive creatures, and with the tendency to lick their fur, chemical fleas treatments can make many owners take pause. They also metabolize essential oils differently than dogs, making most of them toxic to felines, which then present another barrier when it comes to flea control. Prevention, such as regularly washing your pets bedding and vacuuming, is one of the best ways to keep you on top in your fight with fleas. If nothing natural seems to work, do know that the infestation may be to such a point that a trip to the vet is needed. Even if you would really rather not go, you and your cat will be better off for it.

When we had a cat in the house, I started bathing him as a kitten so he was used to it. I used a flea soap for cats and it smelled good. When he was grown, I put him in a 5 gallon bucket that I set in the bathtub. It was a shorter bucket and larger around than the regular 5 gallon bucket. It worked really well as he was able to stand in the bucket with his head out of the water. I can't say that he loved taking a bath. The two of us did a lot of talking to each other during the bath. He did like the warm water because he would relax and let me get all of him under water except his head. Bathing him really helped with the shedding.

November 8, 2004 Flag

If I am fostering a kitten and it is full of fleas, I always give it a warm bath with Dawn dishwashing soap well rubbed and bubbly into its fur.

May 20, 2007 Flag

How old does a kitten have to be before getting flea treatment?

Maxine from Cheshire

For something like Advantage or Frontline they must be at least 8 weeks old. You can safely use Adams flea spray in a small amount(spray a little into your hands and rub thru the coat), or if they will allow you to bathe them, a mixture of equal amounts of baby shampoo and peroxide left on 5 mins before rinsing kills the fleas with no harmful effects to the kitten. You can also use this shampoo should your animals ever have a reaction to any type of flea treatment you use.

I would check out the individual treatments. I think some say as early as 12 weeks, I would think it would be less than 6 months because they can track in a lot of fleas before that!!!

Whatever you do, please consider NOT using Hartz flea drops. They contain some serious chemicals, my cat nearly died because of it. Check it out on the internet, you'll see there are hundreds of cats and some dogs that have been killed by this stuff they continue to sell.

20+ years ago there was an article in Prevention that I follow to this day. Lorann Oils carries Oil of Cedar Leaf-item # 2090-0800. A 4 oz bottle lasts me 4-5 years at a cost of $26.00, so is cheaper than what you buy to put on your dogs or cats. Put 3 drops on a brown square of paper [grocery bags paper] in each corner of every room where pet can't get it every 2 days, then every 4 days then once a week. Within a week, all fleas have fled and I keep doing it til the first frost. When first put down, house smells like a cedar closet, but the scent disappears in a few minutes, but still drives out the fleas. Make sure it is Cedar LEAF, not Cedar Wood.

Why is it when I try to go to kittensafe.com a domaine company pops up?

Pets FleasMarch 19, 2013
Baby in a Bubble Bath
Giving a Baby a Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
🎄