Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath

Care needs to be taken when trying to control fleas on a kitten. This is a guide about giving a kitten a flea bath.

Flea Bath
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 8, 2004 Flag

If I am fostering a kitten and it is full of fleas, I always give it a warm bath with Dawn dishwashing soap well rubbed and bubbly into its fur. It has to stay under water for at least five or more minutes, (not the head, lol,) and the fleas will make their way to the head and then you pick them off and drop them into water set aside in a cup where they drown.

You have to talk to and reassure the kitten while bathing, and also be ready to pick the fleas off on the facial area. Also, kittens love to have warm breath blown on them if they are docile. Also, kittens need to have their claws trimmed, just a little bit, before handling, just enough not to hook you in the face when you are cuddling them!

By Racer

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2007 Flag

How old does a kitten have to be before getting flea treatment?

Maxine from Cheshire

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would check out the individual treatments. I think some say as early as 12 weeks, I would think it would be less than 6 months because they can track in a lot of fleas before that!!!

Whatever you do, please consider NOT using Hartz flea drops. They contain some serious chemicals, my cat nearly died because of it. Check it out on the internet, you'll see there are hundreds of cats and some dogs that have been killed by this stuff they continue to sell.

20+ years ago there was an article in Prevention that I follow to this day. Lorann Oils carries Oil of Cedar Leaf-item # 2090-0800. A 4 oz bottle lasts me 4-5 years at a cost of $26.00, so is cheaper than what you buy to put on your dogs or cats. Put 3 drops on a brown square of paper [grocery bags paper] in each corner of every room where pet can't get it every 2 days, then every 4 days then once a week. Within a week, all fleas have fled and I keep doing it til the first frost. When first put down, house smells like a cedar closet, but the scent disappears in a few minutes, but still drives out the fleas. Make sure it is Cedar LEAF, not Cedar Wood.

Why is it when I try to go to kittensafe.com a domaine company pops up?

It can start receiving a bath immediately in warm water with DAWN "Blue" dishwashing detergents. You can add a little apple cider vinegar to that too, soap up a good lather and let sit approx. 3~5 min. rinse thouroughly. They also can begin on flea drops at between 6 ~ 12 wks. generally depends on the medication and manufacturer. Revolution is the best choice, unfortunately it's prescription only.

Read More Answers...
Pets FleasMarch 19, 2013
Baby in a Bubble Bath
Giving a Baby a Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 2:22:25 AM on 10.0.2.121 in 597 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.