Homemade Sanitizer for Makeup Brushes

How can I make a homemade sanitizer for makeup brushes? I know rubbing alcohol cleans, but is it sufficient to sanitize?

Rob from Spokane, WA

Best Answer

Alcohol was created to kill germs and whathaveyou and was used for only that for a long time. It won't kill *all* germs but if it's good enough for a nurse to swab my skin w/it b4 giving me a shot, i'd think that does a pretty good job of killing 'wee beasties.'

If you'd like another method to sanitize your makeup brushes, you could make a solution of 1 pint of water to 2 drops of household bleach. That's a tad stronger than what's used in hospitals to kill germs (to make water potable, a person would add 6-8 drops household bleach to a gallon of water and wait half and hour, or longer, before use). It would my suggestion you let your brushes soak a long time.

Another way to clean your brushes: one of my teachers in public school used to wash her hairbrushes and combs in a solution of dish detergent and ammonia. She let them soak half an hour. She said it removed all the hair spray build-up and got them very clean.

Best Answer

When I was going to school at Marca (Esthetician) and we washed our brushes with shampoo and conditioner.

I worked for a dentist for years. We constantly wiped everything down with alcohol--the counters, trays, chairs, etc.--everything that couldn't be put in the autoclave.

EnKore has a good "recipe" for homemade make-up brush cleaner on youtube! I tried it yesterday and it works well!