Removing Old Pet Stains and Odors

I've been reading the home remedies for pet urine smells and stains. The remedies are great and I'll try them, but I'm not clear on whether or not they will work on old spots or only new spots. I have a mixture of both and need to know if I need to treat them differently. Thanks.

Ramona from Pearland, TX

Answers

Baking Soda first and then white vinegar works pretty well and is cheap. I use the baking soda first and then add the vinegar, brush or rub in with a rag and allow to dry...after dry, use vacuum cleaner to get baking soda that didn't evaporate. Repeat as necessary, but don't leave your pets loose when u put the soda down...dogs can get sick and not sure about cats.

December 3, 2008 Flag

My house is approximately 40 yrs old. I have lived here 8 yrs. I just removed the carpet from the bedrooms. I found pet stains and odor in one of the bedrooms. How do I fix such an old stain?

Patricia from Fay. North Carolina

Answers:

Removing Old Pet Stains and Odors

Call your nearest home improvement store (I like Lowe's personally) and ask to speak to a professional in the flooring department. They'll be able to guide you. (02/21/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Removing Old Pet Stains and Odors

If you are installing new carpet, this was my experience in this situation. I have a friend who owns his own carpet business. I had a similar problem, as I own a dog and he had some accidents on the original carpet in my house. When I decided to install new carpet, I wanted to replace the padding as well because of the stains and potential odor. He told me it wasn't necessary and assured me that just liberally sprinkling (or POURING) baking soda all over the padding before he installed my new carpet would do the trick. I told him I'd gladly pay the extra cost of replacing the padding, but he told me it was unnecessary. He's been in the business for a long time and we've been friends a long time, so I trusted him. It worked! Never had a problem with odors "seeping through" the new carpet. (02/21/2008)

By youngster8

Removing Old Pet Stains and Odors

This recipe was given to me by a carpet cleaner many years ago. There are several things you need to know:

The solution MUST be made in a glass or plastic container using plastic or wooden utensils. It must NOT be put in a closed container. It will cause the container to "pop" open.

It must be used immediately after making it, as it is only active for a few minutes. In a plastic or glass container mix the following:

• 3 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 3 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp of dish washing liquid (any clear or light colored will work, dark colors may stain the carpet)
  • Mix with a WOODEN or PLASTIC spoon then pour it quickly into a child's plastic watering can. You must saturate the stinky area liberally.

Let dry - smell is gone. May need to be repeated. (02/21/2008)

By Phyllis

Removing Old Pet Stains and Odors

The baking soda thing, only do this if your are on a shoestring budget. It may work for a limited period of time. How long does that box of baking soda control odors in your fridge? 6 months or so?

The padding should be replaced even without urine issues. With urine issues, the sub floor should be cleaned, then sealed with a Kilz type product, then padding should be replaced.

As far as calling Lowe's (or Home Depot), in my experience the flooring people rarely know what they are talking about. But they will almost always put on a good show. -Carpet Cleaner (02/26/2008)

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsDecember 3, 2008
    Cleaning Carpet
    Removing Pet Stains from Carpet
    Dog Urinating Outdoors
    Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
    Rust stains around tub faucet.
    Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
    Cleaning Carpet
    Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
    🎉
    🎄