Don't Add Salt To Salads Before Serving

Salt will draw out the juices from the lettuce and greens. That's why when making a salad, you should add the salt at serving time or the salad will be wilted.

By msweed from Ontario Canada

This is a new one to me. I've never heard of adding salt to lettuce and greens.

I am with MCW! I too have never heard of, and can't at all imagine, putting salt on a salad. :-o Maybe salt on a slice of tomato for a snack? Did you mean adding salt to taste to a homemade "salad dressing" after all other ingredients have already been mixed in the "dressing"?

When I make a salad I have lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green pepper, green onions, radish, mix together then I sprinkle withe garlic powder and pepper. Then at meal time I sprinkle very little salt and salad dressing on it. I can't imagine not putting salt on salad, it brings out the flavors. You make it sound like I committed a felony. LOL

I looked up different green salads recipes and they all add salt to taste, except a few who add it as and ingredient.

msweed, no offence was intended! In 56 years I personally have never seen or heard of anyone putting salt directly on their lettuce and greens when it comes to a salad. Not even at fine restaurants who are building the salad and dressing in front of you (like a Caesar salad). I suppose it makes sense if one doesn't use salad dressing and need some flavoring or if it's a drab dressing.

Making a Salad
Salad Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 22, 2010
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
rock salt next to grinder and pile of coarsely ground salt
Getting Rid of Weeds with Salt
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments