Craft Project: Heart Button Cover

This easy-to-make accessory will dress up any blouse or cardigan on Valentine's Day.

Approximate Time: About 30 minutes

• red, pink and white felt
  • pinking shears
  • scissors
  • glue
  • pen or pencil

Instructions:

Draw and cut out 3 felt hearts in graduating sizes from each color of felt. Cut the largest one using regular scissors and the other two using pinking shears for a decorative edge. The largest heart should be about 3 inches. Cut a vertical slit in the middle of the smallest heart, then lay it on top of the middle heart as a guide and mark and cut matching slits. Repeat with the middle heart to make a slit in the largest heart. Glue the three hearts together, stacked on top of each other, as shown. Slide the heart over the top button of a cardigan or blouse.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

I remember seeing a version of this craft in a magazine when I was about 10 years old, over 50 years ago! I made felt hearts and put them over the buttons on my cardigan sweater for Valentine's Day. They were very simple, nowhere as lovely as these, but I still had a great time making them and felt very proud when I wore them.