Making Coleslaw

How do I make coleslaw?

By Lynda from Bremerton, WA

The way I make it is the easiest(however some people say it doesn't count. lol) I buy a bag of the shredded cabbage and a bottle/jar of coleslaw dressing and mix the two together.

Here is a knock off recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken's cole slaw. It's from the Top Secret Recipes site. YUM!

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/KFC-Cole-Slaw-Recipe-Complete.html

The basics of the liquid for coleslaw is mayo or salad dressing, milk to thin it and a bit of sweetening, usually sugar. I cook mainly by just tossing stuff in, sorry can't give you extra measurements.

I'm like thrifyvicki, I 'toss' when I cook. Very seldom do I use an actual recipe. But, Cole Slaw is like potato salad! Everyone makes it differently. But one 'secret' that I've found over my 50 years of cooking is that if you'll shred your cabbage and carrots then add your salt, mix it thoroughly, cover it then let it sit in the refrigerate about two hours prior to mixing the other ingredient, the texture and flavor will be much, much better.

Shred cabbage, carrots, and onion. Mix together. In a jar put mayo, sugar, milk, a dash of salt and a touch of vinegar or lemon juice (for bite). I do this by taste. Shake it up and store in fridge. Shortly before serving add sauce to vegs so they don't get soggy. Everyone loves this.

Here's my super 'cheater' recipe: 1 bag of premade coleslaw mix (cabbage/carrot shred) 1 bottle of Kraft Cole Slaw dressing mix. Raisins if you want. Pepper. Toss the slaw mix w/ just enough dressing to coat, add in the raisins, as much as you like or don't, and some black pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Use Willach's recipe. I use Krafts salad dressing instead of mayo. These tips are important. Do not shread in the food processor. It shreads too small and releases a bitter taste. Slice the cabbage very thin or chop it. Second always use green cabbage. The big white cabbage is tough and bitter.

Sweet Cole Slaw

Shred cabbage and carrots in a food processor. Mix 1/4 cup cider vinegar with 1/2 cup granulated sugar until dissolved as much possible then blend in 1 cup real mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) regular or light, add a pinch of celery seed if desired and add cabbage to dressing to ensure a nice mixture. You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate. When ready to serve give a quick stir and enjoy Mine rarely gets too watery as I do not use salt. If it does spoon it off and stir and enjoy. Great on a Pork B-B-Q sandwich.

Lynda, one of the best coleslaw you can make is right here on this site, called Aunt Nellies slaw submitted by Robin a while back. I make this all the time,

AUNT NELLIES SLAW

Ingredients

1 medium head of cabbage, shredded

1 large red onion, sliced thin and pulled into rings

salt

1 cup sugar

Dressing

1 cup vinegar

3/4 cup oil

2 Tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. dry mustard

Directions

In large bowl, place a layer of cabbage and a layer of onions. Repeat layering, salting between layers. Sprinkle sugar on top and let stand 30 minutes. Pour dressing over cabbage and put in refrigerator immediately. This will remain crisp for a week or more in placed in a jar with a tight lid.

For Dressing: Combine all ingredients and boil until the sugar is dissolved.

I use half oil and half water to make up the 3/4 cup oil. I also use white onion instead of the red, as red tends to discolor the slaw after a few weeks. I also add celery seed to it.

I hope you give this a try, and again thanks to Robin for submitting this.

Food and Recipes Recipes Salads ColeslawDecember 10, 2010
Coleslaw in White Ramekin
Coleslaw Recipes
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
🎄
🍂