Need Advice on Remodeling

My future wife and I will be moving into a two family house after we are married owned by her grandparents. It is an older house but looks great. I would be living in the bottom floor. I was thinking of redoing the floor with a rosewood Pergo floor from Lowe's - Link to Floor

Any suggestions about to do or not to do that? The house is set up that as soon as you walk down the stairs you are in a pretty large living room longer than it is wide with two support poles towards the left side and at the end a huge bar spanning the width of the room. My question is what color should I paint this room, if I stick with rosewood floor. It has to be a good living room color but also compliment the bar scene.

Second what color should I paint the kitchen, which would have the same flooring? But the cabinets are a lighter yellow wood almost like this flooring - Cabinet Color Link

Should I sand them down and restain them or just do the flooring in that color? but then what colors should I paint the walls with that floor? Also the bar's front side is like that wood paneling, can I paint on that?

If you can also give some tips on the bedroom, which would have a carpet of my choice in it and the bathroom now is pink with pink tiles, sink, and toilet. Thanks for all your time and thoughts everyone. Please respond!

Sal from Totowa, NJ

If that floor ever becomes soaking wet, you are in trouble. Find out about any new flooring and exposure to water before purchasing! I know someone who had a small flood from an overflowing sink which ended up costing thousands of dollars in replacement flooring. At first, I heard that it was not going to be able to be matched to the existing flooring. Didn't seem to work out to be a problem, but you always need to know all the ins and outs before investing in home decor!

Also, a friend has a drooling dog - whose trail wasn't obvious with carpet - but it is with the new flooring. Now she has to work extra hard just to keep the place looking nice.

If you are planning on having kids or pets think twice!

PS Lovely flooring. How about restricting it to the master bedroom where it will get less traffic?

I love that color wood! You could go with almost any color, but if you want the floor to stand out, go subtle -- like a yellowish cream or a sage. In general, use 2 or 3 colors in varying intensities throughout the house. It will all flow together! Good luck!

Is your future wife going to live with you? If so, perhaps it would be considerate of you to consider her opinion, yes? Or does her vote not count?

Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJuly 28, 2008
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets