Cherry Tree Leaves Turning Brown

I recently bought a dwarf "Stella" cherry tree. It seemed to be doing OK, getting new leaves etc., then all of a sudden it didn't look very happy and the leaves turned brown and died! Why has this happened?

By Diane from North Yorkshire

I had this happen to a cherry that had been in the ground for a whole year last spring. I think it was a bacterial wilt that got into a crack in the bark at ground level. My tree died from the bottom up. Most prevalent in cold wet springs.

Young trees are more sensitive since the thinner bark can crack and various pests and diseases get into the trees vascular system. Also, the first year after you plant a new tree you need to water very regularly.

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJuly 15, 2010
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)