Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dyeing My Hair Gray

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
gray haired woman

Looking to finish what nature has started, or seeking a different hair statement; dyeing your hair gray or silver may be the answer. This is a guide about dyeing my hair gray.

Here are questions related to Dyeing My Hair Gray.

Question: Dyeing Hair Silver/White

My hair is naturally, dark-brown. I want it to be a standout, dazzling silver/white hair color. How can I achieve this? Can you recommend any products?

By Ceeci

Most Recent Answer

By Jan08/29/2013

I would buy a good wig. They are very natural looking, then if you don't like it you can just take it off.

Question: Where Can I Buy Gray or Silver Hair Dye?

My natural hair color was black until after my cancer treatments and my hair fell out. Once in remission my hair began growing in 90% gray, I loved it but my kids wanted me to dye it black again and like a dink, I did.

Now I have got my hair cut like Halle Berry, short, but the grow out is all gray and I want to go back to the gray intended for me. The grow out time and cutting means I would need to have short hair forever, no can do!

I used Color Oops on my hair and followed each step to the T even nearly passing out from the hot 25 minute shower...uggg! It made my hair almost brown/red with grey. It looks weird! I want to dye it gray and can't find a color in the stores anywhere. Help! Where can I buy a gray or silver color, so I don't have to look like this?

By Rhauny from Olympia, WA

Best Answers

By Patty04/27/2011

I use to color over my grey until it just got to be too much. The grey just kept showing up as a straight line under the darker color. It was very shabby looking so I decided, like you, to go natural. I went to a beauty salon and asked if she could color my hair grey. She said "no" but what she did was a weave. She weaved the lightest ash blonde into my color treated hair using very, very thin strands so that it looked very natural. I loved it! As my grey hair grew out, you could not see it. It looked the same as the blonde highlights. My hair is now totally and naturally grey and I've never had to go to the salon again. I get many complements on it too. :-)

Best Answers

By Anonymous04/23/2011

First and foremost, I want to congratulate you on your remission! Secondly, take a deep breath because it's not going to take forever for your hair to grow out. You mention you have it cut short like Halle Berry (I am visualizing her really cute super short cut) so by the time Summer is over your own natural gray/silver will have grown long enough that the very last of the color formula coated ends will have been cut off and you can then start growing the length back. Besides, look at the bright side, short hair is nice for the Spring and Summer months because it's super easy to care for and a nice way to stay cool.

I was a hair color specialist for 35 years and I can honestly tell you that there is absolutely no way to color hair to a natural looking gray/silver! If anyone tells you that it is possible they are a big fibber and you would end up having an even more strange and unnatural looking color! And doing anything to that re-growth portion now with any color is only going to prolong your agony of growing it back out to natural because then you will have to start the growing out all over again!

What you can do to minimize the difference between the gray/silver roots and the brown/red ends is to have a hairstylist highlight "only the color dyed portion" and put nothing at all on your gray/silver! Personally, I would just let it grow out as is and not mess with it again. That reddish brown is going to fade as it grows out and not be such a huge contrast.

Also, tell your children, who are being the real dinks here, to not try and convince or tell you what to do again. You've more than earned that gray/silver hair and you should be wearing it as a badge of your courage and strength and they should be looking at it that way too! :-)

Best Answers

By Maryann Popko04/22/2011

Your best bet would be to go to a colorist at a hair salon. She/he will probably have to strip your hair of all color to get the residual black/red etc. out. They have the knowledge to do so without damaging your hair any further. When making an appointment, let them know ahead of time what you want and ask if they have ever restored a gray/silver color to any other customers hair. Questions are meant to be asked and if they are professionals, they will have answers for you or at least be honest with you. Also don't forget to ask for a price ahead of time. Good LucK! and of course, its a wonderful thing that you are in Remission!

Question: Dyeing My Hair Gray

I would like to know how I can permanently dye my hair silver gray?
Someone needs to sell it in a bottle, so I can do it myself. I love my gray hair and don't need blondes, browns, etc.

Ann from Bethel, MN

Best Answer

By Pat (Guest Post)01/25/2009

I use Pantene Silver Expressions. It really takes the yellow out.

Solutions: Dyeing My Hair Gray

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!