Browsing: Dyeing My Hair Gray

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dyeing My Hair Gray

Looking to finish what nature has started, or seeking a different hair statement; dyeing your hair gray or silver may be the answer. This is a guide about dyeing my hair gray.

January 3, 2017 Flag

An older woman with gray hair.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about where can I buy gray or silver hair dye? If you need to dye your hair, finding the right shade of dye is important.

March 1, 2015 Flag

Where can I find a product to dye my hair grey?

By James

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

As a former cosmetologist, I can confirm that there is currently no way to 'dye' hair grey. Grey hair is hair that is missing all pigment, because it is no longer being produced. If you were to bleach your hair enough to remove ALL pigment, which is next to impossible, you would have very little hair left. The closest you will come for now, with the help of a cosmetologist, is to go platinum blonde, which is a high lift bleaching process followed by a cool (blue-violet) toner to balance out any remaining yellow pigment in your hair. But even with that there will still be color in your strands, and even more color left if your hair is darker. Some hair is so naturally loaded with pigment, it won't go any lighter than an orange-ish yellow, even with repeated bleaching.

Not good for your hair, or your skin and organs (we absorb some of everything that comes in contact with our skin). That said, unless you are a good candidate for platinum, realistically you're going to have to just wait until your hair stops producing pigment on its own. Sorry! PS- that was a great idea another reader had about getting the highlights, far less damage plus an overall brightening effect.

If I am reading and understanding your post correctly, you want to dye your hair grey not dye your grey hair another color? If you want to dye your existing color to grey, that is not actually possible with today's hair products.

The hairdressers have a temporary hair dye that is similar to paint that they coat on but it wears off quickly. I tried this.

They may suggest you bleach all the color from your existing hair color(usually takes multiple bleaching and is very drying on hair...) but it still might not take out all the color (or give you an ODD color..like orange-ish if brunette originally).

I suggest highighting it (which would still involve bleaching but smaller pieces of hair) to start a 'salt and pepper look'. If you find a good hairdresser, they might even be able to PLACE grey streaks by the temples and other nice places to highlight your face.

Good Luck!

Where can this silver grey hair color be purchased?

July 21, 2016 Flag

My hair was platinum blonde a month ago so I decided to dye my hair silver-lilac today and I didn't quite like it so I tried to re-dye my hair pure silver and it turned pure lilac. Should I have bleached my hair before re-dyeing it? The brand I used was La Riché.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks fine to me. Live with it for awhile!

I love it shades of purple r in in fashion u c it every where in hair now more

January 24, 2009 Flag

I would like to know how I can permanently dye my hair silver gray?
Someone needs to sell it in a bottle, so I can do it myself. I love my gray hair and don't need blondes, browns, etc.

Ann from Bethel, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use Pantene Silver Expressions. It really takes the yellow out.

I started going silver/white at 24. I was blonde and I frosted regulary for years. Then the white started to look like highlights. I tried to keep frosting and dying but eventually, even when professionally done,the color wouldn't hold for very long. I gave it up and I get a lot of complements about my hair. I also use Pantene for silver. Be careful using rinses to often. They can give a blue tint if over done. I believe it helps it from yellowing. So I say, if at all possible, embrace you grey. It's unique.

I let my hair color itself grey and am VERY pleased with the results. Somehow it knew how to do it all on its own!. I know that sounds funny but I have spent a lot of money over the years on expensive frostings with foil. After I decided to let nature take its course, wonderful things happened. My hair is now charcoal grey with silver highlights on the top. Be sure to ask your hairdresser to cut your hair to take advantage of its color. I like mine cut up the back to let the dark hair show. The silver just lays over the top like highlights. I get compliments on it.

I dont use Pantene for Silver hair, but I've heard good things about it. Sometimes the water or hair products makes the silver in your hair turn yellow. Thats not good. I understand what you mean.

I agree with you. I dont like what I call "old lady blond." Far too many of the older women where I live have dyed their hair blond. All the strand of hair in their heads are the same shade. They all have the same color hair! ..It doesnt look natural.

You will notice that some people with grey hair have a streak either dark or light similar to Jay Leno!. I say go with what you have and dont dye your hair. You will find it to be one of the best things you have ever done in your life like I did.

Good luck

I've been going gray for years and now have just about made it all the way. I am always being complimented on my hair and all I use is Jhirmack Silver Brightening shampoo for gray, blonde, bleached or highlighted hair. It is only about $4 for a 20 oz bottle and lasts a long time. The shampoo is vivid purple, but only makes your hair a shiny gray without any yellow. I shampoo every day, or very nearly. Hope this helps.

You can check out this webpage http://www.greyhairdye.org it has useful tips.

August 27, 2013 Flag

My hair is naturally, dark-brown. I want it to be a standout, dazzling silver/white hair color. How can I achieve this? Can you recommend any products?

By Ceeci

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would buy a good wig. They are very natural looking, then if you don't like it you can just take it off.

February 5, 2015 Flag

My hair is white. I want to color it silver gray. How?

By yani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have to start with a white or platinum blonde base. Then tone your hair vith a violet/ blue-violet toner. Manic Panic Virgin Snow Toner works.

December 16, 2015 Flag

In a stupid moment I put my hair in a pony and cut off about 6". The hair on top is 100% white while the back is 25% gray. I have been coloring it dark brown since 20s when the top turned white. Now without all that hair I see that the top is actually a dark ashy brown while the back is med auburn/mahogany which is probably closer to my long ago natural color. It looks like I have ombre hair. I can't afford to go to a pro every 3 weeks for the roots, so I do it myself. I colored the roots once since the cut because they were really white, but used a semi perm #5 brown whereas in the past I always used #4 brown.

My question is, I need to do the roots again and want to go back to a permanent color, but closer to the med auburn, preferably mahogany. I am not sure, but I think I should find the color, do all roots then in the last 10 minutes pull through back only, leaving the really dark brown on top alone. I think that while it's shorter I'll get rid of that dark color by trims and layers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit lost.

I went into my salon and all 3 stylists gave me different solutions. Mostly they recommended adding highlights/lowlights to the top which I don't want to do. Is my idea the best route to go or should I try and lift some of the long accumulated dark color? Thx so much! My hair type is wavy, thick, and very course on top. There is no breakage or other damage. The previous perm color was Loreal Dark Ash Brown.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 24, 2009 Flag

I'm a 60 year old woman. My hair is almost all gray. I would like to know where I can get a dye to make it all gray. I bought some a long time ago, but now I can't find it. Thankyou.

Lorraine from Zolfo Springs

Answers:

Dying My Hair Gray

I too am a 60 yr old woman. This year I let my hair go natural. It is mostly charcoal with white in it like frosting. Why don't you just go with what you have instead of coloring your hair. Salt and pepper is very pretty and age appropriate for us. (05/05/2006)

By Carol in PA

Dying My Hair Gray

I am 68. I let my hair go "natural" a few years ago. It's white and silver. I like it. And it's so nice not to have to dye it all the time. (05/05/2006)

By Pam3334

Dying My Hair Gray

I am a hairdresser and I can't imagine what you bought and put on your hair years ago, you cannot make artificial gray hair unless you bleach it out to a pale yellow and then put a platinum toner on it. (05/05/2006)

By Priscilla

Dying My Hair Gray

I am 53 and sick of dying my salt and pepper hair. I remember when Clairol sold hair color that was different shades of gray or silver. They even sold it in the 1990's. Its gone now and all they offer is bleach the color out and put camarel highlights. Sucks! (05/15/2008)

By Pris

Dying My Hair Gray

Sad to say, my grey hairs would make me just a dishwater color! But I know that they do have rinses to keep your grey hair from getting too yellow. Look for those at a beauty supply shop, like Sally's, where they have a range of choices. I think grey can be very attractive. (05/16/2008)

By pamphyila

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 22, 2013
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
An older woman with gray hair.
Where Can I Buy Gray or Silver Hair Dye?
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 28, 2017 at 2:37:29 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.