Browsing: Dyeing My Hair Gray

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dyeing My Hair Gray

Looking to finish what nature has started, or seeking a different hair statement; dyeing your hair gray or silver may be the answer. This is a guide about dyeing my hair gray.

gray haired woman
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2011 Flag

My natural hair color was black until after my cancer treatments and my hair fell out. Once in remission my hair began growing in 90% gray, I loved it but my kids wanted me to dye it black again and like a dink, I did.

Now I have got my hair cut like Halle Berry, short, but the grow out is all gray and I want to go back to the gray intended for me. The grow out time and cutting means I would need to have short hair forever, no can do!

I used Color Oops on my hair and followed each step to the T even nearly passing out from the hot 25 minute shower...uggg! It made my hair almost brown/red with grey. It looks weird! I want to dye it gray and can't find a color in the stores anywhere. Help! Where can I buy a gray or silver color, so I don't have to look like this?

By Rhauny from Olympia, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Your best bet would be to go to a colorist at a hair salon. She/he will probably have to strip your hair of all color to get the residual black/red etc. out. They have the knowledge to do so without damaging your hair any further. When making an appointment, let them know ahead of time what you want and ask if they have ever restored a gray/silver color to any other customers hair. Questions are meant to be asked and if they are professionals, they will have answers for you or at least be honest with you. Also don't forget to ask for a price ahead of time. Good LucK! and of course, its a wonderful thing that you are in Remission!

Best Answer

First and foremost, I want to congratulate you on your remission! Secondly, take a deep breath because it's not going to take forever for your hair to grow out. You mention you have it cut short like Halle Berry (I am visualizing her really cute super short cut) so by the time Summer is over your own natural gray/silver will have grown long enough that the very last of the color formula coated ends will have been cut off and you can then start growing the length back. Besides, look at the bright side, short hair is nice for the Spring and Summer months because it's super easy to care for and a nice way to stay cool.

I was a hair color specialist for 35 years and I can honestly tell you that there is absolutely no way to color hair to a natural looking gray/silver! If anyone tells you that it is possible they are a big fibber and you would end up having an even more strange and unnatural looking color! And doing anything to that re-growth portion now with any color is only going to prolong your agony of growing it back out to natural because then you will have to start the growing out all over again!

What you can do to minimize the difference between the gray/silver roots and the brown/red ends is to have a hairstylist highlight "only the color dyed portion" and put nothing at all on your gray/silver! Personally, I would just let it grow out as is and not mess with it again. That reddish brown is going to fade as it grows out and not be such a huge contrast.

Also, tell your children, who are being the real dinks here, to not try and convince or tell you what to do again. You've more than earned that gray/silver hair and you should be wearing it as a badge of your courage and strength and they should be looking at it that way too! :-)

Best Answer

I use to color over my grey until it just got to be too much. The grey just kept showing up as a straight line under the darker color. It was very shabby looking so I decided, like you, to go natural. I went to a beauty salon and asked if she could color my hair grey. She said "no" but what she did was a weave. She weaved the lightest ash blonde into my color treated hair using very, very thin strands so that it looked very natural. I loved it! As my grey hair grew out, you could not see it. It looked the same as the blonde highlights. My hair is now totally and naturally grey and I've never had to go to the salon again. I get many complements on it too. :-)

I have a friend who has very stubborn gray hair. No matter how many times she dyes it, the gray still shines through. She got so mad at the way it looked, she went and bought herself a wig. Now she owns several wigs. She says they are easier to take care of than her own hair and she looks fabulous.

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2016 Flag

My hair was platinum blonde a month ago so I decided to dye my hair silver-lilac today and I didn't quite like it so I tried to re-dye my hair pure silver and it turned pure lilac. Should I have bleached my hair before re-dyeing it? The brand I used was La Riché.

Dyeing Hair Silver

Looks fine to me. Live with it for awhile!

March 1, 2015 Flag

Where can I find a product to dye my hair grey?

By James

Best Answer

As a former cosmetologist, I can confirm that there is currently no way to 'dye' hair grey. Grey hair is hair that is missing all pigment, because it is no longer being produced. If you were to bleach your hair enough to remove ALL pigment, which is next to impossible, you would have very little hair left. The closest you will come for now, with the help of a cosmetologist, is to go platinum blonde, which is a high lift bleaching process followed by a cool (blue-violet) toner to balance out any remaining yellow pigment in your hair. But even with that there will still be color in your strands, and even more color left if your hair is darker. Some hair is so naturally loaded with pigment, it won't go any lighter than an orange-ish yellow, even with repeated bleaching.

Not good for your hair, or your skin and organs (we absorb some of everything that comes in contact with our skin). That said, unless you are a good candidate for platinum, realistically you're going to have to just wait until your hair stops producing pigment on its own. Sorry! PS- that was a great idea another reader had about getting the highlights, far less damage plus an overall brightening effect.

If I am reading and understanding your post correctly, you want to dye your hair grey not dye your grey hair another color? If you want to dye your existing color to grey, that is not actually possible with today's hair products.

The hairdressers have a temporary hair dye that is similar to paint that they coat on but it wears off quickly. I tried this.

They may suggest you bleach all the color from your existing hair color(usually takes multiple bleaching and is very drying on hair...) but it still might not take out all the color (or give you an ODD color..like orange-ish if brunette originally).

I suggest highighting it (which would still involve bleaching but smaller pieces of hair) to start a 'salt and pepper look'. If you find a good hairdresser, they might even be able to PLACE grey streaks by the temples and other nice places to highlight your face.

Good Luck!

Where can this silver grey hair color be purchased?

April 8, 2016 Flag

I have recently gone to a hair dresser to have my hair dyed a wonderful gray. However, she didn't have my hair to the lightest it needed to be for it to take and hold the gray. So now I have a lot of blonde/yellow showing through the gray after just two washes! I'm wondering if I could just dye my hair gray over the previous gray to avoid bleaching again for a while, or do I need to just start over and go through the bleaching process again? Please help!

Go back and make her fix it!

High fashion blonds, platinums and silvers, require that the hair be pre bleached to the pale yellow stage. There are two reasons this is necessary. First, the toners which are applied to the bleached hair have a blue, violet or blue/violet base. If not enough yellow is removed in the bleaching process, the residual yellow and the blue/violet of the toner could result in green.

The second reason is that toners are very delicate colors. If the hair is not bleached to the correct stage of pale yellow, the hair will not have the proper porosity to 'accept' the toner. The toner is deposited only to the outside of the cuticle and will quickly be shampooed away. The toner must penetrate through the hair cuticle to get a lasting color.

Also know that since toners are very delicate, they can be stripped from the hair even if proper penetration is achieved. This would be the result of using a shampoo that is not designed for bleached and toned hair. Also, keep in mind that excessive exposure to sunlight can fade these delicate toners.

Recoloring you hair with a grey color will not solve your problem. It will only temporarily cover the yellow.

The hair must be bleached again to bring it up to the color manufacturer's suggested stage of pale yellow and porosity, and then the 'grey' toner reapplied.

It seems that your hair was bleached to almost the needed degree of 'lightness'. Your second visit to the salon should take only a portion of the time required on the first visit.

Once you achieve the desired color, be sure to use a shampoo specifically designed for bleached and toned hair. The best colorist in the world cannot guarantee the toner will last til time for a bleach and tone retouch, if you use a shampoo at home that can strip color.

For what it's worth: You should not have to pay for having the bleach and tone corrected, only for the shampoo and set (if in fact you do get a shampoo and set (or blow dry or whatever).

I think you will get different tones of grey but over all could be effective be a devil go for it

January 24, 2009 Flag

I would like to know how I can permanently dye my hair silver gray?
Someone needs to sell it in a bottle, so I can do it myself. I love my gray hair and don't need blondes, browns, etc.

Ann from Bethel, MN

Best Answer

I use Pantene Silver Expressions. It really takes the yellow out.

I've been going gray for years and now have just about made it all the way. I am always being complimented on my hair and all I use is Jhirmack Silver Brightening shampoo for gray, blonde, bleached or highlighted hair. It is only about $4 for a 20 oz bottle and lasts a long time. The shampoo is vivid purple, but only makes your hair a shiny gray without any yellow. I shampoo every day, or very nearly. Hope this helps.

You can check out this webpage http://www.greyhairdye.org it has useful tips.

I went gray quit early I loved my gray hair. It was Pepper/salt for awhile then turned salt/pepper- sliver shiny- I loved it. My mother was on me all the time saying it made her look older because if I were gray then they would guess her age as older and she said I had to many years of being gray, please dye it. Well, I did. I looked good, pasted as younger but I felt fake. My eyebrows were very dark so the dyed hair looked natural folks were surprised if I told them that I dyed it. But I long for my gray hair. The dye is hurting me hair now at the roots. I would also like to find a dye so I can softly strip the color then dye it a gray and let my hair grow out naturally. Very tempted to do the platinum things. How I hate that idea.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 22, 2013
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:39:30 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.