MiscellaneousGardening

Understanding Butterfly Behavior

Are any of you really familiar with butterflies? We've had several small white butterflies, for a couple of months, and a couple of evenings ago, Sat, Aug. 28, just before 6pm, I thought I saw a couple of them fluttering, and then one flew off.

I went to the area to see what was happening, and was thrilled, shocked. Six white butterflies were arranged in a perfect circle, equal distances apart, and a 7th butterfly was in the exact middle. Remember, the other butterfly had flown off.

I don't have a zoom camera, and I was afraid to take my regular camera to the area, as it might have disturbed the butterflies. The butterflies stayed this way for a long time, perhaps an hour or so.

Later, after the white butterflies were done, and left the area, I looked at the ground, and couldn't find anything remarkable.

Have any of you seen any butterflies make circles, and possibly with a butterfly in the center of the circle? Does anyone know what those butterflies were doing in that circle?

By Carol from South Bend, IN

We bought three butterfly bushes a few years ago and they are really taking off. It's amazing how they really do attract butterflies. Here's a good link on the topic: http://www.oldh  tailed/817.shtml

I once witnessed the same thing with a group of Azure butterflies. I too didn't see anything remarkable afterward. I always wondered myself what that was about.

I have no idea what was happening. I wish I had seen something like that! I couldn't find anything online about butterflies behaving in that way. Maybe this is a behavior only exhibited by a certain type of butterfly or on/ near a certain food or smell. You wrote they were white. Were they one of these kinds? http://en.wikip  wiki/Small_White

http://en.wikip  een-veined_White

Were the butterflies on the ground? On grass? Near flowers? Had it rained earlier that day? Etc.?