Freeze Extra Buttermilk

Can you freeze buttermilk and if so for how long?

By George from Flat Rock, NC

I freeze buttermilk all the time. When I buy some I can never use the whole bottle. Freezing the remainder is the perfect way to save what you don't use. Here is how I freeze mine. It is under how I freeze bananas.

Freezing Buttermilk

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/10/type-your-summary-here.html

Yes, you can.

August 17, 2010 Flag

I bought some low-fat buttermilk on sale and it doesn't taste like buttermilk. It has almost no taste. I bought it for drinking, but since I don't like the taste, can I freeze it for later cooking? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Pat

Answers:

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

You can freeze buttermilk, to use in soups, pasta, and baking. I freeze fresh milk, fresh cream, and buttermilk. It's not the same as fresh, but it doesn't get wasted. (03/14/2010)

By Dorty

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

You most certainly can :-) Just be sure to thaw in the refrigerator and shake before using.

I can't stand the taste of anything low fat so I am simply careful how much of full fat products I eat each day. It's just not worth spending money on items that taste like water, pulp or cardboard ;-)
(03/15/2010)

By Deeli

March 13, 2010 Flag

I am wondering if you can freeze buttermilk. I have some left over from Christmas baking.

By Sandy from Sioux Falls, SD

Answers:

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

Yes, you can easily freeze buttermilk. I freeze 1/2 cup portions in muffin tins, then pop out when frozen and store in Ziplock bags. When thawed, stir well to combine in case it separates a little. (01/08/2010)

By melelm

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

I do the same thing with evaporated milk, I started doing the freezing thing when I had to make homemade kitten formula for seven kittens, and the evaporated milk would always ruin because I had to use so little at at a time. I will probably try freezing yogurt and pudding next.

I have been making lots of frozen dinners out of macaroni and cheese, green peas, and potatoes I boil for a couple of hours in the crock pot and then cut up. I am going to put dessert in too, in the form of pie filling cherries which have the gooey syrup washed off, and a little sugar added before I serve. I have to do this or the kids just pick and choose certain food groups. I also do this for the dogs, for their supplemental meals two or three times a week.

I even freeze tea in ice cube trays because I don't like weak tea, and the regular ice cubes dilute the tea, also freeze chicken broth and gravy, etc. Have fun.

Robyn (01/09/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

Yes you can freeze it. It will separate a little, but just stir it up. (01/11/2010)

By Ann

January 8, 2010 Flag

I have one recipe that I make about 2 times a month that calls for 1 cup buttermilk. I tried using the dried buttermilk, but I can taste the difference. I used to end up wasting a quart or half gallon until I had a great idea.

What I did was used my food saver and made several bags with 1 cup buttermilk in each bag and put them in the freezer. Now, when I need that 1 cup, I have it and I don't have to worry about defrosting a quart of frozen buttermilk.

By Virraszto from Toledo, OH

Answers:

Freeze Extra Buttermilk

My Better Homes and Garden cookbook says that if you don't have Buttermilk you can substitute:

• 1 cup whole milk (I use lowfat)
  • 1 tbs. of Lemon juice

Let it sit until it curdles, about 5 minutes. I use that all the time. I've never had buttermilk, so for me, I wouldn't know the difference. You can also use 1 cup plain yogurt or add 1 1/4 tsp. of cream of tartar to the whole milk.

(09/06/2009)

By kghsave

Buttermilk in glass bottle and cup.
Freezing Buttermilk
Food and Recipes Freezing DairyAugust 17, 2010
Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Buttermilk Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄