DamagedHair Tips

Drugstore Products For Damaged Hair

I have blonde, thin medium length hair that is very damaged. Do you know of any products like shampoo and conditioners for it? I would like products that I can purchase at the drugstore.

Natalia from Tampa, FL

Anonymous

Am retired now but was a hairslylist for thirty years.

To begin, the best thing to do is get a good trim/haircut to be rid of as much damage as possible and keep your hair trimmed every couple of months thereafter. People will tell you there are all kinds of miracle products but damage cannot be repaired, only covered up.

Do not over color/over perm your hair and, frankly if you want chemical work done, it's best to choose one or the other.

It does not matter thereafter which shampoo or conditioner you use as long as you remember to only brush your hair when dry (from ends to the scalp instead of scalp to the ends), use only a comb when hair is wet (combing the same as when brushing) and if out in the sun a lot be sure to wear a hat.

For my fine red hair, I use conditioner only, never a shampoo. It lifts away oil and dirt nicely. If there were a bunch of dried hard gel, then I'd think about shampoo.

Years ago, I got a bad perm which fried my hair. I finally tried Pantene, shampoo with conditioner, within 2 days my hair was so much better and got better each time. Now I shampoo daily and always use Pantene. My hair type is straight, thin and oily. It cleans my hair great and is always shinny, soft and combs out great when wet. I will never switch. I highly recommend this.

Although I believe the hairstylist (30 Years in business) about cutting the damage off - I have always been told at my hair salon - when you are having your hair chemically treated for any style/look you should always use a product that is good for what you had done. Perm - perm shampoo/conditions, hair colors - hair color/conditioner and shampoos - even it's Suave and I am not knocking Suave but it's one of the cheapest products out there and I don't know if that makes it less effective than anyother product - probably not. You can usually get for as cheap as a dollar in some places. one thing that makes common sense to me (opinion) is the the 2 in 1 products are best - they spend less time in your hair and you only have to rinse once.

I have black hair that I damaged a year ago from bleaching and dyeing it. The best way to repair damaged hair is to go to your hairdresser and have the damaged parts cut out. It may take a while to re-grow but its worth it.

Use a good cream leave-in-conditioner such as Salon V05 Alberto Nourishing. Try a moisturizing shampoo, conditioner, and moisture-soak treatment (this goes on after you've washed the conditioner from your hair). Leave the moisture soak for 5min and rinse out. Try the Loreal haircare range, you can find it in the supermarket. I recommend using their damaged hair products. Or try the Sunsilk range, it's also quite creamy. Stay away from any heat-styling such as blow drying, or straightening for a while. Hope this helps you.

I have bleached hair and through trial and error found that Dove Shampoo and (separate) Dove Conditioner for damaged hair works the best!

All great ideas, thanks!

I have a little bit of advice that worked for me. I never shampoo the ends of my hair, only the roots. I used to shampoo the ends and my hair was always frizzy with split ends. After a month of only washing the scalp, my hair was much improved.

I don't know why I didn't think of this myself; oily and dirt only accumulates on the scalp, not the ends of hair. I read this tip in a magazine a long time ago.

Also, when I permed my hair I used the tiniest amount of Alberto V05 styler. It kind of looks like a gel and it's in a tube. I used it on damp hair and then styled it. Really helped.

Good luck!

Anonymous

I agree with the last post. Only shampoo your scalp. I have been doing this also, with great success.

Go to the storeand look in the afro america section and find this jar of Cholesterol it is great! It doessn't smell that good but I have used it a few times after bad perms or just getting dried out and its great. I always cake it in (its not expensive) and put a shower cap on I've put a hot towel over it for awhile or just left it in 30 min or so it is great! I then go back to my reg shampoo/conditioner the next day. I have to tell you I must wash my hair every day its thick and likes to go its own way and this is the cheapest and best i have ever had!

My hair has become frizzy right at the roots not at the ends over the last few years. It looks like I have a fine layer of frizz all over the top. It's embarrassing and nothing I have tried for frizzy hair works, not even the expensive products. I have medium long hair. It's blonde and fine.Please help me. I'm desperate!

lizzalicious420 AT yahoo.com

After you solve the damaged hair. I use pantene products because the cheaper shampoos dry out my hair so I spend the extra on pantene. Hope that helps.

Walgreen's carries a product in their ethnic haircare section that is an olive oil based deep conditioner. It comes in a packet that costs $1.49 in my store. It is fabulous for all hair types and only takes a small amount of product for non-ethnic hair. Store un-used product in a ziplock baggy. It can be done with or without heat. Every customer I have suggested this to has loved it. If you color your hair, use this product the night before you plan on coloring your hair a Prevents over-processing as it protects the hairshaft from absorbing too much color and damaging your hair. You can't beat the price!