Food FixesFood Tips

Too Much Cumin

Category Food Fixes

I made a large amount of hotdog sauce for a party. When putting in a touch of cumin, the lid came off. I got most out but it is smothered with the taste. How can I salvage it and get some of the cumin taste out?

Thank you,
Sandra

I don't know, but I would try it anyway because it sounds like you've got nothing to lose!

An old fashioned remedy for too much salt in a dish is to put a potato in the pot and the salt is drawn into the potato. I've tried it and it really does work.

Just peel a regular baking potato and put it in the pot. Heat the dish up on the stove to simmer and keep tasting it until the cumin flavor goes away.

I suppose you could cut the potato in half lenghtwise, but when I did it I just put the whole potato in the pot. In fact, I would put the whole potato in because when you heat up the dish on the stove the potato might break up as it cooks.

Good luck and maybe this will work for you.

Smoochie

:)

Add other spices such as chili powder to mask the hot dog sauce. Maybe add tomato sauce?

Anonymous

It might even be worth putting more ingredients into the recipe; maybe everything besides cumin. You would have lots more sauce than you needed, but it might salvage the existing sauce from going to waste. And you could freeze the extra, and not have to make any for a long time. Or donate the extra to your child's football team for the concession stand :)

Here in Ohio there are hot dog shops that have this coney island sauce that is big time cumin tasting. I tried to copy it and finally got it tasting like it and it was more cumin than anything. Little chili powder and lots of garlic.

What I would do is add more "stuff" . more hamburger meat especially. Then package it up in portions in the freezer and you might not have to make any for a year! Or how ever long. I made mine in the 10lbs at a time of hamburger meat.

Good luck .. hope it works out for you.

Hey, why not try to turn it into chili? Add lots of beans (kidney, pinto, black, etc), diced tomato, and chili powder. You may experiment with toppings like sour cream and cheese also.

Try adding some "sweet sage", for some reason, this seems to actually absorb some of the flavor of other spices. It would depend on just how much extra cumin you got in there -- good luck! Also, the idea of adding extra stuff to turn it into chili, sounds like a winner.