DairyRecipes

Homemade Cumin Spiced Cheese

Vote for this contest contender!

Making my own cheese is my go-to idea when I see I've got a lot of milk that will soon expire. This is one of my favourite cheeses and it's so easy to make. You won't need any special tools, so this is awesome for beginner cheese makers.

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 8 wedges

1. Pour milk into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently to keep from burning.
  2. When milk comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, and stir in vinegar.
  3. The milk will start separating into curds and whey. If it doesn't separate, add more vinegar, a teaspoon at a time, until it does.
  4. Ad

5. Pour into a cheesecloth-lined colander.
  6. Place solid cheese part in a bowl and add salt and cumin. Mix well.
  7. Ad

8. Return cheese to cheesecloth to further drain.
  9. You can manually keep twisting the top of the cheesecloth tightly to remove the liquids.
  10. Ad

11. You can also tie it up in the cheesecloth, put it in your colander, then place heavy objects on top of it. The liquids will be removed with the pressure in about an hour. Place in refrigerator to chill.

Hi Attosa,

Do you use pasteurized milk or fresh milk?

Hi PL! It is regular store-bought pasteurized milk!

This is another great recipe, thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely have to try it.

Hi Jess! I'm excited for you to try it. My mum has been making this since I was little and it's honestly been my favourite, even out of the expensive store made ones :)

Have you ever tried any different flavorings? I have a group of ladies that meet for brunch regularly and one of them is allergic to practically every spice. I was thinking of trying onion and garlic powder in one batch.

Spice-free, I have done garlic and chive and it was really nice!

Now that Im a veteran yogurt maker, i am going to branch out into cheese. Im trying this.

Yay! This makes me happy! :) Enjoy!

I also love home-made cream cheese / ricotta, particularly with skim milk. Nutritional yeast with garlic powder add an excellent flavour as well as a bit of colour. Have had excellent success with such other additions as fresh basil, caraway seeds, ground-up salmon jerky (which I couldn't stand eating - as jerky - but was absolutely terrific in the cheese).

I did make notes about volume and measurements if anyone wants that information. wordswork at telus dot net.

Awesome! I will email you!!