Homemade Cumin Spiced Cheese

Category Dairy
Got whole milk, vinegar, salt, and cumin? Make cheese! This is a page about the ease of preparing homemade cumin spiced cheese.

Making my own cheese is my go-to idea when I see I've got a lot of milk that will soon expire. This is one of my favourite cheeses and it's so easy to make. You won't need any special tools, so this is awesome for beginner cheese makers.

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 8 wedges

• 1/4 gal whole milk
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp small cumin seeds
  • 1 cheesecloth

1. Pour milk into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently to keep from burning.
  2. When milk comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, and stir in vinegar.
  3. The milk will start separating into curds and whey. If it doesn't separate, add more vinegar, a teaspoon at a time, until it does.
  4. Pour into a cheesecloth-lined colander.
  5. Place solid cheese part in a bowl and add salt and cumin. Mix well.
  6. Return cheese to cheesecloth to further drain.
  7. You can manually keep twisting the top of the cheesecloth tightly to remove the liquids.
  8. You can also tie it up in the cheesecloth, put it in your colander, then place heavy objects on top of it. The liquids will be removed with the pressure in about an hour. Place in refrigerator to chill.

Hi Attosa,

Do you use pasteurized milk or fresh milk?

Hi PL! It is regular store-bought pasteurized milk!

This is another great recipe, thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely have to try it.

Hi Jess! I'm excited for you to try it. My mum has been making this since I was little and it's honestly been my favourite, even out of the expensive store made ones :)

Food and Recipes Recipes DairyDecember 18, 2018
🎂
🌻
🎃