Recliner Fix?

I have a vinyl-like covered recliner that has developed some inch long slits on the seat. Is there a way to fix the slits? or is there a pattern or instructions somewhere to make a slipcover for the chair to hide them? cheapskate7998

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

If it were me, I would put packing tape on the slits to prevent more tearing and cover the seat with a nice big towel that matched your living room decor. Just fold the towel in half and tuck it in around the sides and back and it should stay put. Alot of people do this simply to protect the chair or couch and no one would even know your chair was torn.

I used the stuff you mend a car's dashboard with once on a kitchen chair and it worked.

Available at at Walmart or most other dept. stores.

Mara

You don't say what colors you have in your room but try this.

Duct (Duck) tape comes in a wide variety of colors and is relatively inexpensive.

Cut some cute shapes like flowers or geometrics, etc. and place these over your slits. You can make them multicolored by putting a circle of orange tape in the center of a white or yellow daisy shape for example.

You can either just cover the existing slits or put them randomly all over to make it look like a whole new couch.

Good Luck

Maybe I'm not frugal enough but I have purchased slipcovers from Surefit.com for my worn out furniture. The covers, depending upon the fabric, can last for years and are machine washable. They make stretch covers for recliners ranging in price from $60-$70 right now. I have also bought Surefit covers on eBay for less. I would repair the cracks with duct tape and then cover the chair with a slip cover. It looks great and costs considerably less than a new chair.

Otherwise the earlier suggestion for the leather/dash repair might work as well. Good luck!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairFebruary 18, 2005
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Couple Shopping for Quality Recliner
Finding a Quality Recliner
Leather Recliner
Reupholstering a Recliner
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:28:37 AM on 10.0.1.211 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.